Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Help- Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Default Help- Wheel Noise

My H3T Alpha has had a noise as I can only describe as a low pitched repetative "wha wha wha" noise at low speed frim the driver front side.
I also get a diffrent thunk (uuh hu) noise on mild to extreme suspension travel.
The truck has been making these noises for about a year with the 2 dealerships (Potamkin and City Cadallac) first saying its the tires then saying they cant hear the noise. I was just in Texas and the foreman there did hear it and swapped out the front shocks. New shocks are nice...but the noise is still there, and I wasnt going to delay my trip back to NYC another week.

A little background- The driver side half axel was replaced after it broke while i was driving on un-packed snow in 4 high lock 2 yes ago. (?)
Just this past winter I had Wrangler Duratrecks 295/65R18s on, Both NYC dealerships said were too big to align the truck and both saying were causing the noise. Also, 1 yr ago the stearing gears were replaced. Oh and I've gone off road maybe once, very light mudding.

I really really hope some one can shed some light on this situation. I personally feel its in the wheel roater, like the bearing; any and all comments are helpful!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Suprised no one has offered any advice on this...
I still ahve the abive noise and Ive narrowedd down this low "wha wha" noise to being most noticable at 25mph.

I think its the wheel bearings? or something directly connected to the ledt front wheel.

I would really appreciate any info on how to determine if its the wheel bearings.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Check for debris in the brake pad. I had a terrible squeak that turned out to be a piece of a stick stuck in the brake pad. After about a month of driving, it looked more like petrified wood !!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the idea; I dont think its that but I should just pull the wheel off myself and take a look.
Im leaning more towards a bad CV Joint because i get a low wha-wha noise and some vibration cruising most noticably at 25-30mph.

Anyone know how a CV joint sounds when its going bad?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM

There is a writer up or link in the h3 section, jan 2011 date on sounds of cv joint failure and replacement. Could be caused by A broken seal

Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 AM

The thunking noise could be a loose caliper, the wha wha noise I am not to sure about.. If you dont get a good answer here, try posting question on CHO or H40. I utilize all of the Hummer sites.. CHO is is offroading and we brake alot more stuff than most, so alot of those guys has tons of knowledge... All these forums are good, some are just better for other stuff.. Good luck...

Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Ben, long time no see. Take Pappibri's advice... Or you can text me, still got my number? Did I give you the new one? Can't remember.

-Dan

Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM

I have a wheel noise, but it's more of a rattle. It comes from the driver side, and between 20-25 mph. Sounds like thin metal rattling.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Sounds like you have a broken shoe (rubber cover around shaft that transfers power past the IFS to the front wheel). Its yelling at you when you drive fast because you cant really hear the spinning at low speeds. Check it out, and fix it before you get crap in there.

Or maybee it is your tires? You got big ones?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Ben, long time no see. Take Pappibri's advice... Or you can text me, still got my number? Did I give you the new one? Can't remember.

-Dan
Hey, finally had some down time from being under the weather; nah, I dont have a new number for you, PM me.
And a belated thanks to everyone for rhe advice.

I found the larg clunking noise, actually my rear torsion bar- the bolts holding the sleeves over the bushings came loose or rather lose-ish and the fix was just tightening them down. Weird how they werent torqued right even more alarming, not a single tech at the 3 dealerships ever thought to check.

I still cant pin point the wha-what noise I hear at 25mph; but I bet its something with the steering rack. -Had those replaced before... Ill take Pappibri's advice and post on the other forumns too.

Quick Reply: Help- Wheel Noise