Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

What have you done to your h2 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Installed a Kenwood DNX691HD yesterday. Used a Metra GMOS-04 and a Metra steering wheel control adapters. Works great! If other go at this - behind the 4WD controls is a perfect place to stuff the adapter boxes.

Pic of the install and another showing the custom splash screen I put onto the unit. I know this can be done on certain Kenwoods and I'd assuming the corresponding JVC models and probably some other as well.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your h2 today?-nav1.jpg   What have you done to your h2 today?-nav2.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Installed a Kenwood DNX691HD yesterday. Used a Metra GMOS-04 and a Metra steering wheel control adapters. Works great! If other go at this - behind the 4WD controls is a perfect place to stuff the adapter boxes.

Pic of the install and another showing the custom splash screen I put onto the unit. I know this can be done on certain Kenwoods and I'd assuming the corresponding JVC models and probably some other as well.
I got a DNX571 . Yep first thing I did was the Hummer picture . I remember it was a little complicated to figure out

Just got a new mic aND gps antenna to solder the plugs to oem equipment . Just waiting for the on**** box replacement

What amp /speakers u running

Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Since I just got it I'm still using the factory (lux) amp and speakers for now.... I'm actually surprised by them. They are not horrible. I'll likely replace the speakers at some point though when time and budget allows and potentially even the lux amp.

Also - the mic is not working as well as I had hoped. The GPS antenna - perfect, it picks up better than the Kenwood one ever did. On the mic - wife called me yesterday and could not hear me. I either forgot to plug it back into the back of the stereo, or I need to swap the pins, or need to replace it. I really don't feel like pulling the stereo all the way back out so I'll probably unscrew it from the headliner first and splice in the mic that came with the Kenwood to test first and possibly try swapping pins from that point. Worst case is I forgot to plug it back in and will have to pull the console loose again and pull the stereo back out. On the plus side - the wire is already run and replacing the mic itself is simple - just twist to remove the factory mic from the headliner and you can just unplug it right there and swap it out.

Also - I have a 571HD Kenwood as well in another car and yeah its the same to change the image. I learned a good bit about them. You can open the stereo up, remove the microsd card from inside, go buy an 8 or 16gb card, then use a few different programs to clone it to the new card, then make the secondary partition active, then you can add "free" maps, voices, vehicles, etc and just leave the microsd card in the front slot.

Vehicles for GARMIN nuvi - this site has a few Hummers too including a yellow H2 SUT, White H3, Border Patrol H2 SUT, etc.

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I got a DNX571 . Yep first thing I did was the Hummer picture . I remember it was a little complicated to figure out

Just got a new mic aND gps antenna to solder the plugs to oem equipment . Just waiting for the on**** box replacement

What amp /speakers u running

Old 02-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Since I just got it I'm still using the factory (lux) amp and speakers for now.... I'm actually surprised by them. They are not horrible. I'll likely replace the speakers at some point though when time and budget allows and potentially even the lux amp.

Also - the mic is not working as well as I had hoped. The GPS antenna - perfect, it picks up better than the Kenwood one ever did. On the mic - wife called me yesterday and could not hear me. I either forgot to plug it back into the back of the stereo, or I need to swap the pins, or need to replace it. I really don't feel like pulling the stereo all the way back out so I'll probably unscrew it from the headliner first and splice in the mic that came with the Kenwood to test first and possibly try swapping pins from that point. Worst case is I forgot to plug it back in and will have to pull the console loose again and pull the stereo back out. On the plus side - the wire is already run and replacing the mic itself is simple - just twist to remove the factory mic from the headliner and you can just unplug it right there and swap it out.

Also - I have a 571HD Kenwood as well in another car and yeah its the same to change the image. I learned a good bit about them. You can open the stereo up, remove the microsd card from inside, go buy an 8 or 16gb card, then use a few different programs to clone it to the new card, then make the secondary partition active, then you can add "free" maps, voices, vehicles, etc and just leave the microsd card in the front slot.

Vehicles for GARMIN nuvi - this site has a few Hummers too including a yellow H2 SUT, White H3, Border Patrol H2 SUT, etc.
I understand you don't want to remove it again. I hate all the work involved in removing the hu .
Did you test the mic before putting the headunit back . Did it worked at any time. I'm just trying to figure out the mic compatibility with the headunit

If can't make it work then I will run the kenwood mic to the oem location and.attach it with hot glue

The one reason I replace the oem amp/speakers was static noise due the bose amp lack of gain adjustability
The new speaker and amp sound much better however the oem bass was deeper

Get a good quality silk tweeters for the front pillars and you will see a huge difference for a cheap price
Make sure it comes with the crossover .
Oem.tweets are a pos

Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Recently got an old Humvee from a friend. Brought it to Jonathan Goodwin in Wichita Kansas and got a biodiesel conversion kit installed for $27,500. Just wondering if this was a good deal? it included
--DuraMax Diesel 6.6 Liter
– Allison Automatic Transmission 263 XHD 2HI 4HI
– Custom Intercooler
– Oversize HD Drive-Shafts
– High Capacity Transmission Cooler
– Aluminum InterCooler Tubes
– 4′′ Hi-Flo Exhaust w/Resonator
– Angle Cut Clutch Fan Drive System
– 500 HP Performance Programming

All I know is it is badass, but not sure about much else. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-10-2017, 01:38 PM

I have a kenwood in my 05 hummer. Do you have instructions on how to change the splash screen to the HUMMER LOGO?

Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci
I have a kenwood in my 05 hummer. Do you have instructions on how to change the splash screen to the HUMMER LOGO?
You won't find the info in Kenwood manual . There a couple videos and info online
I think this is the video I used

Last edited by H2Miami; 02-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci
This is the official PDF from Kenwood on changing it on the DNX571/671 but it should also work on some other models too.

Attached Files
Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM

On subject - installed an Airaid intake tube just a bit ago.

And...... I found some snake oil in my stock intake tube!!! This was stuck down in the tube a ways. Not sure if I'm going to miss or notice that swirl effect that has been imparted on the air way up in the stock intake tube where it could not possibly have any effect whatsoever other than to slow do the air a little. LOL

Think I should stick it into my new Airaid tube?

Also - edit to add. Still have not had a chance to look at the mic issue H2Miami..... That being said - you could still use the factory run wire regardless versus running a new wire. If for some reason the factory mic is not compatable I'll just use the trim ring for it and hot glue the Kenwood one to the factory trim piece and tie it into the factory run wires.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your h2 today?-snakeoil.jpg  

Last edited by MixManSC; 02-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Onstar removed ... I also replace/relocate the RCA and connect the powered sub

The onstar replacement was so easy and convenient.
At the last minute I decided to not mess with the mic or the gps antenna as I was in a hurry to finish many things..
Is there a 2nd onstar module next to the glove compartment?
I saw a metal box with a GPS plug

Connecting the sub to the kenwood sub output makes a huge difference . The bass is deep . You can feel the vibrations . Still nothing crazy that makes mirror vibrate

Replaced all led bulbs with
Amazon Amazon
The light output is stunning and
True white

What have you done to your h2 today?-20170211_173915.jpg

What have you done to your h2 today?-20170211_173939.jpg

Quick Reply: What have you done to your h2 today?