Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:18 AM
Default Transmission fluid change

It's time to change the transmission fluid and possibly the filter.

Taking a quick look underneath there doesn't seem to be a drain plug (2005) but wouldn't want to swear to that.

Any suggestions before getting into it?

Cheers guys

Old 06-23-2021, 11:53 AM

nope no drain plug. need to bring one end down slowly and let it pour out. make sure you get the correct filter as the one we use are taller. also make sure to get the old o-ring out of the hole before installing the new filter.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:15 PM

Cheers bronxteck it looks a messy procedure

One YT video titled "Hummer H2 Transmission Pan Replacement in under 39 minutes" is informative but seems to have a different transmission pan i.e. has a drain plug.

Another YT video titled "Hummer H2 transmission oil change problem - tips" looks like the same transmission pan, but the guy reckons he needs to loosen the exhaust pipe, perhaps all he needed to do was tilt and pour then remove the bracket nearby?

Need to get the right parts(no local suppliers here) does this RA ACD Kit look the right one? (it matches a 2005 model year)

Is any gasket sealer required, my gut is telling me that provided everything is clean and smooth it shouldn't be required?

Any tips most welcome Cheers

Old 06-23-2021, 01:54 PM

the kit looks to have the long neck filter so should be right.
as for rtv i like using a light greasing on the pan side to hold the gasket in place. put a few screws in the holes to keep it aligned and let it cure a bit then install it. the gasket to transmission side just make sure it has a really clean mating surface no rtv really needed unless there is some corrosion pitting on the face.
they do sell aftermarket pans with drain holes as also they sell a bung kit you drill and weld on.
they also sell a rubber gasket that is much better than a single use cork one.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:32 PM

Fluid Evacuator before you drop the pan prevents a mess.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:37 AM

Good idea, I believe some guys over here bought cheap oil pumps off amazon, same idea I guess.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:43 AM

If the original pan gasket is a rubber coated steel gasket, those are meant to be reused and are a superior gasket to what comes in most kits.
I would not use sealer on the transmission pan gasket.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:28 PM

Without a doubt the fluid extractors are the answer. I recently performed that service on my 08, ezy peezy and zero mess. Leave Hummer parked overnight on jack stands, remove dip stick and remove as much fluid as you can. Remove all bolts leaving two at the rear of the pan slowly lowering the front of the pan. You can then tilt the front of the pan down and remove any remaining fluid from the front of the pan. Remove the rear bolts and you can then remove the pan by sliding foward and down. This takes a little doing and is easier on the 4l65 then on the 6L80 but in can be done without the removal or lowering of the exhaust. This is why it is important the pan be as empty as possible.

Remove the pan and clean as needed. Check to make sure no damage has occurred to the rubber coated oem gasket (unless its aftermarket) Ifyou have the tool remove the filter seal otherwise leave the old one, put some silicone gel on the filter neck and reinstall into the base of the transmission. Re-install the pan, bolts and torque, add 6.5 quarts of Dexron VI synthetic fluid, start, warm transmission to operating temperatures then top off to recommended level.

The nice thing about fluid extractors are that they are useful for just about everything, Power steering pumps, master cylinders, purging brake lines, any many other jobs. Personally, I use a vacuum unit that is powered by hooking to an air compressor and the best option if your shop has a small air compressor.

Old 07-04-2021, 02:41 AM

Dorman oil pan with drain hole is your solution. That is what we use.

Yes, you have to pry the exhaust heat shield away from the pan. Because the H2 is so small and so everything has to be super tightly positioned to fit in there. ;(

Last edited by finall; 07-04-2021 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:38 AM

Thank you - sounds like a plan👍