Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Transmission Fluid Change...More Harm Than Good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Default Transmission Fluid Change...More Harm Than Good?

Hi Everyone:

I bought my 2008 H3 Adventure at a dealer with 53k miles.

I had assumed they had changed the automatic transmission fluid during the time they had it but now I'm not sure.

Now at 79600 miles I made an appointment with a tranny shop to have the fluid and filter changed.

The guy said that they will have to check the fluid and if it looks worn, will recommend I NOT change it because it could do more harm than good.

Could someone give me some insight on this?

Has anyone else faced this?

If I don't change it, does this mean my tranny is doomed to fail shortly? At the moment it shifts/works/sounds fine.

Just curious if they recommend I don't change the fluid, what I should do.

Thank you

Old 08-21-2020, 03:02 PM

Pull the dipstick and wipe on a white paper towel. Give it sniff too.. Black and smell burnt? If so your f'cked.
If not, and not knowing the maintenance history, I recommend a complete flush+filter change. Refill with
Amazon Amazon

Btw, I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY SERVICE AT A TRANSMISSION SHOP!

Just find a reputable auto repair that can perform a transmission flush, and drop the pan to change the filter, and BYOTF, (4 gallons should be enough, click on link above to save money)

Last edited by hummerz; 08-21-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM

Much thanks my Hummer brother, just checked and it's between red and light brown and semi-transparent.

The dealer must have changed it when they had it.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM

You're good then, get some fluid and diy flush or drop pan & replace filter too, or take to shop and flush cheap/ or drop pan and replace filter too, cheaper when you bring your own fluid. Just be sure to avoid the transmission shops until you need a transmission, they are in business to sell transmissions, not fluid changes.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Never flush, always drop the pan and replace the filter instead. While you have the pan off add a drain plug yo the OEM pan. 👍

Old 08-22-2020, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Never flush, always drop the pan and replace the filter instead. While you have the pan off add a drain plug yo the OEM pan. 👍
Not sure what you're smoking? Pan drop is only 1/3 fluid change. Flush/fluid exchanges all transmission fluid.
You don't change 1/3 of your engine oil, so why only change 1/3 of your transmission fluid? I recommend a flush every 15k miles and filter change every 30k miles.
More info here: Transmission Flush vs Fluid Change: Which is Better?

Old 08-23-2020, 08:15 AM

Please block all the wheels!

Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 AM

I alternate. Flush and Pan Drop every 30K.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:14 PM

90K - I had mine pulled from dipstick line exchange at shop and was definitely was dark maroon reddish. Nice to have fresh fluid in and feel the crisper shifts.

Last edited by BlueH3; 08-23-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Not sure what you're smoking? Pan drop is only 1/3 fluid change. Flush/fluid exchanges all transmission fluid.
You don't change 1/3 of your engine oil, so why only change 1/3 of your transmission fluid? I recommend a flush every 15k miles and filter change every 30k miles.
More info here: Transmission Flush vs Fluid Change: Which is Better?
That's why you install the drain plug. After 50 miles, drain & fill. Repeat the process until you have nice red fluid. Not a trans flush person, NEVER will be. Have a 1964 power glide with just fluid changes on it with over 275,000 miles still shifts very well. Excursion with 225,000 miles never flushed, just changed and tows 10k+ regularly. That's my proof. My own vehicles. Not some Amsoil (snake oil) krap I read on the internet.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change...More Harm Than Good?