Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Steering wheel play ... fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Happy to help,
Sadly GM changed gearboxes for the 08-09 models to a less reliable one from what i'm told.

I tried this trick and all it did was make my steering pump work harder at lock on both sides.

So my options are either rebuild with new GM parts, pick up a low mileage used one, or try to swap to the 03-07 style and again either rebuild or find a low mileage one.

GM discontinued the gearboxes, and only remans are available...

Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2
Happy to help,
Sadly GM changed gearboxes for the 08-09 models to a less reliable one from what i'm told.

I tried this trick and all it did was make my steering pump work harder at lock on both sides.

So my options are either rebuild with new GM parts, pick up a low mileage used one, or try to swap to the 03-07 style and again either rebuild or find a low mileage one.

As per the Hummer shop in my area the best way is to rebuild. The mechanic told.me.the aftermarket pumps are not worth it and wont last .
havent fix mine yet . Possible next month

Old 12-19-2018, 11:42 PM

There is an allen and a locking set screw on top of your gearbox.

With your hummer off, put in an allen key (I forget the size sorry), and loosen the nut.

Slowly turn the allen clockwise until you feel it get tight and sort of just bottom out.

They turn it counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn. Tighten the locknut and take it for a test drive.

If it's too tight the steering wheel will be hard to turn, and sometimes won't return back to center on it's own.

It's trial and error, but that a good place to start.
GREAT info! I have the same play, perhaps 10 to 11, and I replaced everything including the damper/stabilizer at no avail.

I will try this fix as well.

thanks

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM

There is an allen and a locking set screw on top of your gearbox.
Can anyone explain or show exactly where this set screw is?

Old 12-29-2018, 05:45 PM

Don't turn the screw, this is not an adjustment for play this is the over-center adjustment. Its purpose is to add a little tightness when at center so the truck doesn't wonder and the driver chase it. At the input shaft there is a large locking nut which locks the adjustment nut for the steering gear. This really should not be adjusted while on the truck but can if you make very small moves and take it for a drive. If the large input nut is adjusted to much then the wheels will not center as they should which will usually be due to the over-center adjustment not being correct. The over-center can only be correctly adjusted with the gear box unloaded (much much easier with the box off the truck.

Some looseness can be due to the output shaft bushing being worn, you can take a bar or maybe by hand and shake the output shaft to see if there is play, if so replace the box.

Search around for "Chevy truck steering gear over-center adjustment" lots of info out there

Neal

Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Happy to help,

This is due to the over-center adjustment applying way to much pressure to the gear, it will result in damage to the gear. back the screw back out where it was.

Neal

Old 07-14-2022, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Sorry not a 1/3 rd
The play is a little less than 1/4 to each side .. From play goes from 11 to 1
.. I will try to get a video

Worn parts ( pitman , idler and tie rods ) were replaced
Still got to replace the ball joints which are not in critical state

Since I got the truck I've never worried about it cause I supposed that was normal but always complained about The play in the wheel is annoying mostly on Highways , you need to keep correcting to track straight ( Not critical but annoying) which doesnt happen with my Honda element

I guess next steep is to take it to an expert in the suspension/Steering

@SK taking in consideration your comment
"every part of my suspension is worn out on my 2009. I have zero steering wheel play for how an H2 should be"

Im guessing it could be the gearbox or a play on the shaft ..

Will go from A to B starting with suspension revision if nothing found then gonna have to replace steering comp

I need to replace pretty much everything from tie rod ends to a new steering gear box, everything is worn out 🤦🏾‍♂️