Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Steering wheel play ... fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Default Steering wheel play ... fix?

Not sure if this is normal but the steering wheel has a play of 1/3 .
The mechanic said it is normal for gearbox .. he told me rack/pinon
Is firm but there is always a play in gearbox
Could anyone point if this is correct
And if there is a solution to fix it
Thx

Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM

There's a ton of variables in your question. You need to eval all your front suspension components including the steering portions and see if anything is worn and needs to be replaced.

1/3'rd play, if you mean you can turn the wheel 1/3rd of a turn and no change in the wheels then that is not normal.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:49 PM

My 2003 had no play between 2k and 130k miles (not offroaded). I'd assume your 2006 should be the same. Interestingly, every part of my suspension is worn out on my 2009. I have zero steering wheel play for how an H2 should be.

I'd ignore your mechanic. It sounds like the previous situation I had with one, blaming ride quality on tires and saying other suspension parts were not worn (they all were). I'd look at steering components first, especially if your rig has been 100% street driven.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Sorry not a 1/3 rd
The play is a little less than 1/4 to each side .. From play goes from 11 to 1
.. I will try to get a video

Worn parts ( pitman , idler and tie rods ) were replaced
Still got to replace the ball joints which are not in critical state

Since I got the truck I've never worried about it cause I supposed that was normal but always complained about The play in the wheel is annoying mostly on Highways , you need to keep correcting to track straight ( Not critical but annoying) which doesnt happen with my Honda element

I guess next steep is to take it to an expert in the suspension/Steering

@SK taking in consideration your comment
"every part of my suspension is worn out on my 2009. I have zero steering wheel play for how an H2 should be"

Im guessing it could be the gearbox or a play on the shaft ..

Will go from A to B starting with suspension revision if nothing found then gonna have to replace steering comp

Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Have you replaced the steering stabilizer?

I have also heard that the steering box in the H2's are prone to this sloop. Mine is not too bad.

Tim

Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM

I also thought there was an adjustment screw on the steering box to adjust how tight the gearing was?

I've never dived into the steering or front suspension on these things. Something I've been meaning to get around to for a while now.

After installing a leveling kit on my new GMC Canyon I am more familiar with tearing down a front suspension. Some day I will get to my 2 lol.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Yes stabilize was replaced 2 years ago. It makes a big difference on handling ,mostly after a rain

I didnt know about that adjustment. Going in a Road trip this friday so I dont want to touch anything but will.look into that as soon get back

Thx

Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 PM

There is an allen and a locking set screw on top of your gearbox.

With your hummer off, put in an allen key (I forget the size sorry), and loosen the nut.

Slowly turn the allen clockwise until you feel it get tight and sort of just bottom out.

They turn it counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn. Tighten the locknut and take it for a test drive.

If it's too tight the steering wheel will be hard to turn, and sometimes won't return back to center on it's own.

It's trial and error, but that a good place to start.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2

With your hummer off, put in an allen key (I forget the size sorry), and loosen the nut.

Slowly turn the allen clockwise until you feel it get tight and sort of just bottom out.

They turn it counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn. Tighten the locknut and take it for a test drive.

If it's too tight the steering wheel will be hard to turn, and sometimes won't return back to center on it's own.

Thanks for the info will try overover he weekend will post results

Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Default Steering slop fixed

Yes, this worked great for me and super easy:
(And thank you OP for the info!)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel play ... fix?