Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Steering wheel control buttons don't light up

Old 03-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Default Steering wheel control buttons don't light up

I have a 2005 H2 Hummer and I had new steering wheel control buttons installed by the dealer and they told me that the lights don't work but the buttons work fine to control the radio etc. etc. they said they would have to take off the whole dash and take off the steering wheel in order to get to the wiring harness in order to get to the 2 amp fuse that controls the lighting of the buttons on the steering wheel. they told me the job would take about 8 hours just to dissemble the dash and steering wheel alone. at 125 per hour, is there not a better way to fix this problem? the GM dealer said they rather not work on it because it would be to costly and most Hummer have too many problems with this issue. Thank you for any help or picture where this 2 amp is located because I don't think the GM dealer either knows what he is talking about or just does not want to tackle the problem. thanks for any input or help

Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodesia
I have a 2005 H2 Hummer and I had new steering wheel control buttons installed by the dealer and they told me that the lights don't work but the buttons work fine to control the radio etc. etc. they said they would have to take off the whole dash and take off the steering wheel in order to get to the wiring harness in order to get to the 2 amp fuse that controls the lighting of the buttons on the steering wheel. they told me the job would take about 8 hours just to dissemble the dash and steering wheel alone. at 125 per hour, is there not a better way to fix this problem? the GM dealer said they rather not work on it because it would be to costly and most Hummer have too many problems with this issue. Thank you for any help or picture where this 2 amp is located because I don't think the GM dealer either knows what he is talking about or just does not want to tackle the problem. thanks for any input or help
Your first mistake was having the dealer work on it. Were the lights working before they installed the new buttons? Taking the dash apart is easy just a little time consuming, definitely not worth paying someone to do it for you, especially because a knuckle head at a dealership will probably break your rare dash plastics. I've never had an issue with all the button lights going out. When any of mine went out I just bought a new button off eBay. They pull out in 2 seconds with pliers then you just plug the new one in.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:29 PM

only two were working the rest did not so I had new ones installed and now they don't work, but everything else does just will not light up at night when driving. it's weird that these would be a separate from when you turn on your dash console lights when driving at night, there has to be an easy way to fix the 2 amp fuse without tearing apart the whole dash and taking off the steering wheel. I just had the Dash cluster replaced because the stepper motors went out and the LED lights in the back burned out, GM does not have any new ones in stock so I had to buy a recondition one from the factory and had to turn in my old one as a core. works great now I heard that the H2 hummers had problems with the stepper motors going out in the dash of the H2 hummers

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
Your first mistake was having the dealer work on it. Were the lights working before they installed the new buttons? Taking the dash apart is easy just a little time consuming, definitely not worth paying someone to do it for you, especially because a knuckle head at a dealership will probably break your rare dash plastics. I've never had an issue with all the button lights going out. When any of mine went out I just bought a new button off eBay. They pull out in 2 seconds with pliers then you just plug the new one in.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodesia
only two were working the rest did not so I had new ones installed and now they don't work, but everything else does just will not light up at night when driving. it's weird that these would be a separate from when you turn on your dash console lights when driving at night, there has to be an easy way to fix the 2 amp fuse without tearing apart the whole dash and taking off the steering wheel. I just had the Dash cluster replaced because the stepper motors went out and the LED lights in the back burned out, GM does not have any new ones in stock so I had to buy a recondition one from the factory and had to turn in my old one as a core. works great now I heard that the H2 hummers had problems with the stepper motors going out in the dash of the H2 hummers
I fixed my dashboard stepper motors and replaced the original bulbs with leds. I bought the kit on eBay about 6 months ago and it still works great.

My steering wheel control lights were also burnt out and I replaced them with led’s as well.

If you have very basic soldering skills, you can do both jobs in under 2 hours from start to finish. Total cost for me was about $30.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 AM

So since now none work but two did before than I'm of the opinion that it is on them to get them working. The only way that fuse could be blow is if they shorted something out when they were replacing them. That is their fault and carelessness. They are correct in that the specific fuse is a pain to get at. It is not in any fuse box, that particular fuse is pretty much the only one in the vehicle that is an in-line fuse taped into the harness just under the steering column. You do NOT have to remove the steering wheel nor take the entire dash apart to get to it. You can get to it in about 10 minutes. It does require taking the center stack dash face top bolts out so that the top can be pulled back about a half an inch. Then the left dash face can be removed, then the instrument cluster surround removed, than you can finally get to the screws to remove the lower knee cover and steering column guard to get to the harness there. Its not really hard or even very time consuming. One catch - the fuse is soldered inline so you will need to cut that fuse out and either solder in a new 2A fuse (ugly but you coudl even solder the wire directly to the blades of a 2A blade fuse and tape it up very well or splice in an actual fuse holder.

This video is for a GM truck which is the exact same steering wheel and essentially the same wiring harness, etc as out H2 and shows the fuse.

There are also some good photos here - have to have an account or look at the pics on Google image search.
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...ol-lights.html
Images
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...mg.80CGyDf-JFs

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
So since now none work but two did before than I'm of the opinion that it is on them to get them working. The only way that fuse could be blow is if they shorted something out when they were replacing them. That is their fault and carelessness. They are correct in that the specific fuse is a pain to get at. It is not in any fuse box, that particular fuse is pretty much the only one in the vehicle that is an in-line fuse taped into the harness just under the steering column. You do NOT have to remove the steering wheel nor take the entire dash apart to get to it. You can get to it in about 10 minutes. It does require taking the center stack dash face top bolts out so that the top can be pulled back about a half an inch. Then the left dash face can be removed, then the instrument cluster surround removed, than you can finally get to the screws to remove the lower knee cover and steering column guard to get to the harness there. Its not really hard or even very time consuming. One catch - the fuse is soldered inline so you will need to cut that fuse out and either solder in a new 2A fuse (ugly but you coudl even solder the wire directly to the blades of a 2A blade fuse and tape it up very well or splice in an actual fuse holder.

This video is for a GM truck which is the exact same steering wheel and essentially the same wiring harness, etc as out H2 and shows the fuse.
https://youtu.be/0eqZUdGEPcA

There are also some good photos here - have to have an account or look at the pics on Google image search.
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...ol-lights.html
Images
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...mg.80CGyDf-JFs

Good luck!
I showed this to the GM dealer and he said this is from a Yukon and the wiring is different from the Hummer H2. I even got under the dash myself and found the wiring harness but never could find the brown and white wire with the fuse in it. I don't see how they were telling me I had to take out the whole yes the whole dash from cover to the hummer just to get to a 2 amp fuse thats located in the steering wheel harness

Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM

This is directly from the GM eSI system. The very one that the idiots at your stealership apparently do not know how to use well. It is in the same place as it is on the GM trucks just like I said. Click the picture - there are two..... then use the arrows at the edges to switch between them.
That being said - I have not needed to change this on mine so I cannot personally verify it but I have changed on before on my GMC truck. Maybe the GM eSI system is wrong??? I doubt it though - I've used the system a LOT and it has never pointed me to the wrong place before.

Last edited by MixManSC; 03-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
This is directly from the GM eSI system. The very one that the idiots at your stealership apparently do not know how to use well. It is in the same place as it is on the GM trucks just like I said. Click the picture - there are two..... then use the arrows at the edges to switch between them.
That being said - I have not needed to change this on mine so I cannot personally verify it but I have changed on before on my GMC truck. Maybe the GM eSI system is wrong??? I doubt it though - I've used the system a LOT and it has never pointed me to the wrong place before.

Thank you for the information I might have to try to attempt this one myself

Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 PM

I would have done exactly what that guy in the video did, solder in an in-line fuse holder so I had easier access to that fuse in the future. That is solely because I never plan on getting rid of my 2, she will be a garage find by some lucky person long after I'm gone hahahaha.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I would have done exactly what that guy in the video did, solder in an in-line fuse holder so I had easier access to that fuse in the future. That is solely because I never plan on getting rid of my 2, she will be a garage find by some lucky person long after I'm gone hahahaha.
That's true but from what everything is saying what to do looks easy but the dealer seems that you still have to take off the steering wheel and half of the dash in order to get to the steering wheel harness just to get to a 2 dollar fuse. I crawled under the dash and all the wiring harness is inside the steering wheel column. Plus the dealer said this job will take 8 hours I can't believe changing out a 2 dollar fuse takes 8 hours. I think the dealership is gun shy on doing the work and if they break parts of the dash they will not be able to get parts for the H2 hummer