Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Shift lock release on 2008 H2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 AM
Default Shift lock release on 2008 H2

Greetings to all.
How can I release the shift lock without power on a 2008?
I donīt want to damage any plastic parts. Has it the same button like the 2003-2007 ?
Must I remove the console cover?
Have no shop manual

Many thanks
Volker

Old 04-27-2024, 06:02 PM

Not to Hard... Get yourself an Allen wrench... Remove the screws on the far right hand side of the shift handle. ....... Side the shift handle up and away...Remove everything from the center glove Box ... There is I think from memory one or two screws around the area of the center Glove box........Remove them ...the complete panel should pop up with some slight froce as it is held in with push clips. ... Carefull as the console box has a light and there is a connectoron that you can unplug.

You should be able to see the intire shift Meck. Look up near and under the shift lever... you should see a small silver round button or it could be black??? . If you press that in it should release the lever. You might have to turn the key on or not don't remember. My 09 Solioid release Ground wire broke and I went thru the above and had the same problem.

EDIT: Forgot to add... remove all the coins from the front cubby in front of the shift lever..I Think...Going from memory

Wait a few and some one will post a picture from the manual showing the disasembly. Probably... "HUMMERZ" the crazy guy. L.O.L. Or Neal ..

GM had a problem with the wiring that you will see that comes up and around to the shift lever solinoid. IT FRIGGEN BREAK'S From Beiing moved back and forth as it follows the shift lever...!!! There is an up grade kit with heaver wire. Some one here might have the service bulliten. If not make a Post to me and I can get it from my Bud who is a GM Field Tech.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mark R; 04-27-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:23 AM

Thanks a lot, Mark.
I will try this

Old 04-28-2024, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by V-Hummer
Thanks a lot, Mark.
I will try this
Also forgot to mention..... When you got to move the shift lever you have to depress the stalk that is sticking out of the shifter to release just as you do with pushing the button when the Handle is on.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by V-Hummer
Thanks a lot, Mark.
I will try this
Here's the PDF File From The Top GM tech on my Vetteheads forum. This also should help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document ID_ 2163195= vnv.pdf (136.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-29-2024, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Not to Hard... Get yourself an Allen wrench... Remove the screws on the far right hand side of the shift handle. ....... Side the shift handle up and away...Remove everything from the center glove Box ... There is I think from memory one or two screws around the area of the center Glove box........Remove them ...the complete panel should pop up with some slight froce as it is held in with push clips. ... Carefull as the console box has a light and there is a connectoron that you can unplug.

You should be able to see the intire shift Meck. Look up near and under the shift lever... you should see a small silver round button or it could be black??? . If you press that in it should release the lever. You might have to turn the key on or not don't remember. My 09 Solioid release Ground wire broke and I went thru the above and had the same problem.

EDIT: Forgot to add... remove all the coins from the front cubby in front of the shift lever..I Think...Going from memory

Wait a few and some one will post a picture from the manual showing the disasembly. Probably... "HUMMERZ" the crazy guy. L.O.L. Or Neal ..

GM had a problem with the wiring that you will see that comes up and around to the shift lever solinoid. IT FRIGGEN BREAK'S From Beiing moved back and forth as it follows the shift lever...!!! There is an up grade kit with heaver wire. Some one here might have the service bulliten. If not make a Post to me and I can get it from my Bud who is a GM Field Tech.

Good luck.
you don’t have to remove everything from the center glove box. There is 1 screw where the latch for the glove box clips into. Remove that and the trim around the box will come up with the console.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
you don’t have to remove everything from the center glove box. There is 1 screw where the latch for the glove box clips into. Remove that and the trim around the box will come up with the console.
Thanks for adding Gavin,,, Was going from Memory...

Old 05-01-2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Thanks for adding Gavin,,, Was going from Memory...
yeah there’s definitely a lot of pieces there😂

Old 05-01-2024, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
yeah there’s definitely a lot of pieces there😂
Yeah.. I was miffed ???? I got in one day and fired up Fat boy (H2) and went to go in Drive and nothing. Shifter frozen in park. Was I surprised. After I figured out with the shop manual how to get to the shifter I went to work on it. Found the broken Ground wire for the solenoid. Got the part number for the new harness connector that runs to the solenoid. To my surprise the new one was heavy duty with thick Teflon wiring. They must have figure out that they F-up

I also added some strain relief's on the harness so when it travels back and forth it is not pulling on critical areas. Anyway, that ended up being my new added theft device. Working with my "GPSit Tracking" (Name Of the Company) tracking system. I can lock it in park with my cell phone now using relay connected to that ground wire to the solenoid. Also have a foot switch that I can trigger if some one shoves a 9 MM in my face. Let him have the keys and beet feet and call the Fuzz...L.O.L.

Last edited by Mark R; 05-01-2024 at 08:37 PM.