Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer H3 2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:17 PM
Default Hummer H3 2008

I have a problem when trying to switch from 4up ( locked ) to 4up Normal

1. Start the engine
2. Go to Neutral
3. Hit the 4up button ( blincks then goes steady )
4. Move shift to D ( drive )
5. Does not do anything only a noise like in the transmission but wont engage

Please advice Tks

Am i doing something wrong ?
Is there another procedure ?

Old 04-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

You shifted what to neutral? Why? It is done on the fly at any speed less than 45MPH.

Do you have the Owner's Manual and have you read it? They are all online for free review. If you have not read it, STOP driving and do so.

"Shifting between Four-Wheel High and Four-Wheel-High Lock
With the vehicle traveling less than 45 mph (72 km/h), press and release the Four-Wheel High or Four-Wheel-High Lock button.
The indicator light will flash while shifting. It will remain lit when the shift is complete. It may be necessary to drive backwards while
turning for a distance of 25 feet (7.5 m) to get the lock feature to disengage."

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-18-2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:49 PM

the H2 is the one that needs to be in neutral to shift modes.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You shifted what to neutral? Why? It is done on the fly at any speed less than 45MPH.

Do you have the Owner's Manual and have you read it? They are all online for free review. If you have not read it, STOP driving and do so.

"Shifting between Four-Wheel High and Four-Wheel-High Lock
With the vehicle traveling less than 45 mph (72 km/h), press and release the Four-Wheel High or Four-Wheel-High Lock button. T
he indicator light will flash while shifting. It will remain lit when the shift is complete. It may be necessary to drive backwards while
turning for a distance of 25 feet (7.5 m) to get the lock feature to disengage."

My H3 is on " 4up locked " and im trying to switch to " 4up Normal " but as i understand i have to go to NEUTRAL first so i can switch from one to another, is that correct ?

Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DiaboloAldebaran
My H3 is on " 4up locked " and im trying to switch to " 4up Normal " but as i understand i have to go to NEUTRAL first so i can switch from one to another, is that correct ?
Did you read what I posted??????? H3 Transfer Cases have a 4Hi, 4Hi Lock, and Low Lock. The arrow pointing up is "High", shifting between Hi and Hi Lock can be done at any speed less than 45MPH. You do NOT have to stop, you do NOT have to put anything in Neutral.

To review.... Switching between 4Hi and 4Hi Lock can be done at any speed less than 45MPH. Neutral nothing, get it. READ the OWNER'S MANUAL, that is why they put one in the friggin glove box.

Maybe we have a language barrier going on, but good luck.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-18-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:53 PM

IN (D) DRIVE.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:37 PM

Just did what you told me and did not work

Thanks so much

Old 04-18-2022, 03:53 PM

Switch contacts contaminated clean/replace. What codes do you have?

Old 04-19-2022, 09:26 AM

No codes at all

I hit the switch, it blinks then goes steady but then a noise comes from the transfer case ( very similar noise from a std transmission when you dont press the clutch properly ).

Old 04-19-2022, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

No codes at all

I hit the switch, it blinks then goes steady but then a noise comes from the transfer case ( very similar noise from a std transmission when you dont press the clutch properly ).
OK. Time to look at the threads here about the failed Transfer Case Plastic Shift Fork. When they wear out you cannot shift to/from lock (seems to me most of the time it is discovered when you cannot get the H3 out of Hi Lock to 4 Hi).

Have you tried driving in reverse turning back and forth and then selecting Hi to see if it can free up and make the change? Maybe you can get it out of lock until you have time/parts to do the metal fork upgrade.

The vids below are god visuals, the guy also points out when you do the job you should get a new fluid pump screen.............. some of his comments about "timing" are irrelevant. There was an excellent step by step replacement on line at another now defunct Hummer Forum that would have been a great resource. Might have to reach out to CB Photo and see if he can recreate it????????? He also talks about 4WD not engaging/disengaging.... incorrect, he meant lock is stuck as H3s are always in 4WD..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdGyhkJ-bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyfw8EWIY3I

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-19-2022 at 11:14 AM.