Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 won't leave 4x4. plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Default H3 won't leave 4x4. plz help!

My '06 h3 will switch from 4-hi to 4-low, but will not go into AWD. I need to fix it soon bc it won't make sharp turns. i think something might break soon, every time i turn (especially left) i hear a grinding noise. It has 91k miles. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanx.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

its always in awd but its stuck in lock mode . thats usually the transfer case ,shift fork.

sorry,,if u drive it will get worse.

try backing up and turning, that has freed up a stuck shifter,but??

there have been many posts on this problem in last year

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 AM

ok thanx. I looked around on here & found all the talk about shift forks and being stuck in 4-hi. that has to be what it is. now i need to find the cheapest place to fix it.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Another problem with shifting from one to anther is the actual switch. Sometimes, the pushbutton on the switch will stick in. Then when you push another one, the t/case control module gets confused and will not let it shift. However, this usually ends up with a display on the DIC stating 4x4 problems.

Living in the desert it is a big problem. I have used a knife to pry out the button at times, in order to shift to another range.

Just a thought.....

Here's a switch I removed and cleaned. Not how all the buttons are stuck in:

Here is a view with the button out:

(Also note on the center button, the scratches from the knife)

The switch assembly is easy to take apart and clean.

The plastic forks is an issue, but it is not always the issue. Look at your switches first. If they are all out, then chances are it is the shift fork.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I just had my mode fork changed out on my 2006 H3 for under $500.00 including tax at the GM dealer. I've got 63,000 miles on my H3. They gave me the old plastic mode fork back and it showed no damage or wear. There was a black mark where I guess the metal actuator move the fork and a light ring where the bearing or gears where seated. I've been careful and always followed the shifting procedures as stated in the manual. It’s not a Pavement Princess it’s used on many logging roads, river crossing and lots of mud.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned
Default once more

tnx for pics,,,here are 2, not too good but shows how to add a flashing led to warn of lock mode,hi or lo.
this ive used in 2 h3 and it keeps me safe.

the two diodes go in holes at r3 and r4,ez to find on board.
i suggest u NOT position them as i did in this pix. i did better later.
i scratched the insulation to solder to +volts. the flasher from radio shack.
the 2 1k res are redundant limit/protection

Attached Thumbnails H3 won't leave 4x4. plz help!-p1080989hmr3led2.jpg   H3 won't leave 4x4. plz help!-p1090003cheepbw.jpg  

Last edited by drtom; 01-03-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM

all great replies

Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Default The H3 is repaired!

I took it to a GM dealer & it was the shift fork. I had a 100k mile warranty thankfully, so I only had to pay a $100 deductible. Without the warranty they would have charged about $800.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by bzh3
My '06 h3 will switch from 4-hi to 4-low, but will not go into AWD. I need to fix it soon bc it won't make sharp turns. i think something might break soon, every time i turn (especially left) i hear a grinding noise. It has 91k miles. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanx.
I had the same problem in my 06 H3. It really should just be a recall. I took it to Hummer and they quoted me 800 dollars. I didn't have the money to fix it so I just drove it as is. Eventually it drove a little better after a while but I fear if I keep driving it I will just break something else. What the hummer community should do is start a petition to get this problem recalled because sooner or later that plastic piece in the transfer case will break. They should put the metal ones in them like they did in the newer models. THIS IS A DEFECT. Let's do something about it.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Amy Coffey Taylor my Hummer H3 2006 has been doing the same thing I have taken it to the dealer 3 different times, they put it on the computer that runs codes, it show nothing was wrong! A few weeks later it was doing the same thing at $500.00 a pop you've think they've fix something!!! Right back to the same old same old..switches from high to low,but and it won't make sharpe left hand turns!! Sometimes I also hear a loud pop noise it scares ppl around us they think we hit someone!! I feel like I am driving a pice of crap, put I am trying to get it fix, I really am!!! PLEASE GM HELP US!!!

Quick Reply: H3 won't leave 4x4. plz help!