Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Rusty frame cleanup project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Default Rusty frame cleanup project.

Hey folks. While I知 waiting on my body shop to schedule me in to cut out some rust on my rear quarters I thought I would start gathering what I need to clean and paint my frame. I have done this same process before on my 1st H2 and the results were good. I thought I壇 post my list and see what feedback I get from you folks. This H2 has a lot of scale on the frame in the rear area, not as bad on the sides and front, but it痴 still rusty looking. I知 going to focus on the frame and cross members, some of the suspension components will be easier to just replace than remove and paint and put back on (100+K miles they are due). So I値l just remove what I need to to get at the frame, like skid, front and rear bumpers.. I already have removed the rock slider (sold it) and picked up the AMP Powerstep. So the sides are ready. I hope to start this project in about a week.

My order list list so far:

Eastwood Cylindrical Wire Brush - 5 pack $17.99 (x1)

Cylindrical Wire Brush - 5 pack

Frame prep cleaner pre prep ( 1 x 12 oz spray covers 6 sq feet) $9.99 (x2)

Eastwood Pre Painting Prep Aerosol 12oz

Platinum Rust Encapsulator (1 quart covers 96 sq. ft) $49.99 (x1)

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum Quart

Brush to use for Encapsulator ( 3 packs of foam brushes recommended by Eastwood) $3.99 each

https://www.eastwood.com/poly-brush-...n-2in-3in.html

Sand paper or flap wheel ( ?) Will buy flap wheel as needed from local hardware store

Extreme Chassis Black $15.97( x4)

EW Extreme Chassis Black Satin Aerosol 14 OZ

Internal Rust Encapsulator $21.99 (x2)

Internal Frame Coating Aerosol Black 14oz

Bristle Disk 4 1/2 in 50 grit Green $33.99

https://www.eastwood.com/bristle-dis...it-4-5-in.html

pics of the work will follow

Last edited by myrddin; 04-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM

following, very interested, I might be doing this also

Old 04-10-2019, 05:10 PM

The Eastwood order will be here tomorrow. Next will be finding time. I wish I had an air chisel as I have seen videos showing how useful they are with knocking off scale. I値l be using a ball ping hammer and a scraper and the wire brush as well as the bristle brush. Anyway pics will follow.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 PM

If you do get an air chisel also get some earplugs..... you will go deaf in a hurry. Really only helpful for thicker rust. Lighter surface stuff one will not be super useful. Some wire brushes on a drill, or faster would be brushes on an good angle grinder. Still limited on what all areas you can get to though. I'm close to doing the same on my GMC truck.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Good point! I have mostly surface rust but some scale in the rear from wheel well area to the bumper. Agree on hard to reach areas. I値l need to be creative between the frame rail and body. I may start some of this tomorrow. If not soon after. I like to take pics along the way to help me find better ways as I go. So I値l post them up. That Eastwood bristle brush looks pretty nice. I値l show how well it works... or doesn稚 work.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Usually not as stiff but you can also find wire cleaning brushes and extensions for long guns that can reach into deeper places. You can get some basic cleaning kits for pretty cheap.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM

I also bought a wire brush with a long handle. I like the idea of the gun cleaning kit for tight spaces. I知 going to do one framevrsil at a time do once I start I値l know more.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Package came in, now to find the time.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM

I知 going to drop my h2 this weekend to get some body work and paint done. When I get it back I値l start the frame. I also just found that I need to replace the fuel pump so I値l drop the tank as I work on the frame too. More area I can get at.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:39 PM

very interested in dropping the fuel tank, that is something I need to do soon. take some good pics. thanks

Quick Reply: Rusty frame cleanup project.