Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Power steering pump upgrade recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 07:51 AM

I've purchased 2 rebuilt units and one brand new Gm unit and they were all crap. I have the same thing, fluid like sounds as I turn the wheel that drives me nuts. My solution, which I have not done yet is to put on a smaller diameter power steering pump pulley. My thought is that the smaller pulley will spin faster and increase pressure. No clue if it will work or not and I have no clue when I will around to it.

Tim

Old 11-18-2020, 08:13 AM

I have no idea if it would work but I've seen on the GM trucks where people have been upgrading the older trucks (like from 99 through 07) with the pumps from the newer HD trucks (like 2014 or so models) which supposedly are much beefier, higher output pumps.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:14 PM
Default CLEAR PS FLUID ONLY... Nothing RED in PS Rez.

I have had several issues with my power steering pump and hydro-boost on my 2007 Hummer H2 SUV which I have owned for 15 years.

When the Hummer was three years-old, the PS began to whine, so I had it checked by a mechanic that had 30 years experience and he put on a new PS PUMP and filled it with Transmission Fluid. Said he's done that hundreds of times over 25 years.

Three days later the power steering pump went out and the hydro-boost all but seized.

I chose another mechanic, who had been in business 25 years, he replaced the power steering pump and the hydro-boost and once again, put RED PS Fluid in the PS system. two weeks later... very loud whining and turning the steering wheel resulted in a chirping.

SO, I contacted a local mechanic whom everyone said was great, a former helicopter mechanic in the AF and he most honest mechanic in town according to everyone I contacted.

He operates a Mobile Mechanic service with a trailer full of tools and when he arrived he started the Hummer and said, "That sounds horrible, but familiar." He replaced the power steering pump and the hydro-boost, but did not charge me for the hydro-boost since he had a good relationship with NAPA and could return it for an even exchange.

After he replaced the power steering pump, hydro-boost and told me the fluid he removed was RED. He said, "THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU DON'T PUT ANYTHING RED IN A HUMMER PS PUMP, IT DESTROYS THE HYDRO-BOOST."

He then asked if I had a particular "CLEAR" PS fluid I wanted to use and I told him I had done research on various fluids, their boiling points and LubeGard Complete Synthetic Power Steering Fluid had the highest boiling point of those I researched and... IT IS CLEAR! NOT RED!

He flushed out the entire system with LubeGard COMPLETE CLEAR PS fluid and then sealed it up and topped it off.

That was two years ago and I have since taken several Road Trips across the country, including my most recent, Sept. - Nov. My wife and I hit the road for 2 months, drove 8400 miles which included 22 states and a dozen National Parks and Monuments from Las Vegas to Ocean City, Maryland and back home to Las Vegas,

We experienced some INSANE driving East on the Bear Tooth Highway, the most stressful and strenuous paved road I have ever driven and I have driven THOUSANDS in 47 of 50 states.

On a totally black, moonless night with clouds hugging the road, 15 mph turns with a 12,000 foot cliff on one side with no rails, some of the steepest inclines I have driven, brakes smelling like a forest fire.

Switching to 4 wheel drive in second gear to slow the Hummer down without using the brakes, then using the brakes to give the transmission time to cool down.

I figured my brand new wheel bearings on the front axle would be ground to powder by the time I got off that mountain, but the power steering and hydro-boost held up without any issues as did the NRS High Performance Brakes I had installed two days before the trip.

Wheel bearings survived, power steering system survived and the NRS brakes are still holding their own a year later.

SO, FROM MY EXPERIENCE OVER 15 YEARS WITH MY HUMMER H2, I can say with CONFIDENCE and having tested my truck to the extreme, NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING RED IN YOU PS PUMP IT KILLS THE HYDRO-BOOST and causes the power steering pump to chug and whine.

For 2 years I have used exclusively LUBEGARD COMPLETE Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (CLEAR COLOR) in my Hummer H2 and will not use anything else. I've learned my lesson, if a mechanic says he is going to put transmission fluid in my PS system, I yank the reins right there and find a better, more UP TO DATE mechanic. Sometimes a 25 year career mechanic is like a 25 year career Spinal Surgeon... if they have not kept up with contemporary patients or procedures, they know enough to be dangerous.

I get mine at NAPA or AUTOZONE, but it is available at most other Auto Parts stores. It should not cost over $15 a quart, a HUGE SAVINGS over having to replace your PS pump and Hydro-Boost a few times.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...ng_dcoe_google

https://dizeman.com/kong/kong.jandk.capehatteras.jpg

Last edited by DIZEMAN; 02-26-2022 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-26-2022, 02:44 PM

Great looking H2 and wow - that is one heck of a zoom lens!

Old 02-26-2022, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DIZEMAN
I have had several issues with my power steering pump and hydro-boost on my 2007 Hummer H2 SUV which I have owned for 15 years.

When the Hummer was three years-old, the PS began to whine, so I had it checked by a mechanic that had 30 years experience and he put on a new PS PUMP and filled it with Transmission Fluid. Said he's done that hundreds of times over 25 years.

Three days later the power steering pump went out and the hydro-boost all but seized.

I chose another mechanic, who had been in business 25 years, he replaced the power steering pump and the hydro-boost and once again, put RED PS Fluid in the PS system. two weeks later... very loud whining and turning the steering wheel resulted in a chirping.

SO, I contacted a local mechanic whom everyone said was great, a former helicopter mechanic in the AF and he most honest mechanic in town according to everyone I contacted.

He operates a Mobile Mechanic service with a trailer full of tools and when he arrived he started the Hummer and said, "That sounds horrible, but familiar." He replaced the power steering pump and the hydro-boost, but did not charge me for the hydro-boost since he had a good relationship with NAPA and could return it for an even exchange.

After he replaced the power steering pump, hydro-boost and told me the fluid he removed was RED. He said, "THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU DON'T PUT ANYTHING RED IN A HUMMER PS PUMP, IT DESTROYS THE HYDRO-BOOST."

He then asked if I had a particular "CLEAR" PS fluid I wanted to use and I told him I had done research on various fluids, their boiling points and LubeGard Complete Synthetic Power Steering Fluid had the highest boiling point of those I researched and... IT IS CLEAR! NOT RED!

He flushed out the entire system with LubeGard COMPLETE CLEAR PS fluid and then sealed it up and topped it off.

That was two years ago and I have since taken several Road Trips across the country, including my most recent, Sept. - Nov. My wife and I hit the road for 2 months, drove 8400 miles which included 22 states and a dozen National Parks and Monuments from Las Vegas to Ocean City, Maryland and back home to Las Vegas,

We experienced some INSANE driving East on the Bear Tooth Highway, the most stressful and strenuous paved road I have ever driven and I have driven THOUSANDS in 47 of 50 states.

On a totally black, moonless night with clouds hugging the road, 15 mph turns with a 12,000 foot cliff on one side with no rails, some of the steepest inclines I have driven, brakes smelling like a forest fire.

Switching to 4 wheel drive in second gear to slow the Hummer down without using the brakes, then using the brakes to give the transmission time to cool down.

I figured my brand new wheel bearings on the front axle would be ground to powder by the time I got off that mountain, but the power steering and hydro-boost held up without any issues as did the NRS High Performance Brakes I had installed two days before the trip.

Wheel bearings survived, power steering system survived and the NRS brakes are still holding their own a year later.

SO, FROM MY EXPERIENCE OVER 15 YEARS WITH MY HUMMER H2, I can say with CONFIDENCE and having tested my truck to the extreme, NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING RED IN YOU PS PUMP IT KILLS THE HYDRO-BOOST and causes the power steering pump to chug and whine.

For 2 years I have used exclusively LUBEGARD COMPLETE Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (CLEAR COLOR) in my Hummer H2 and will not use anything else. I've learned my lesson, if a mechanic says he is going to put transmission fluid in my PS system, I yank the reins right there and find a better, more UP TO DATE mechanic. Sometimes a 25 year career mechanic is like a 25 year career Spinal Surgeon... if they have not kept up with contemporary patients or procedures, they know enough to be dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4r8H7voSM0&t=30s I get mine at NAPA or AUTOZONE, but it is available at most other Auto Parts stores. It should not cost over $15 a quart, a HUGE SAVINGS over having to replace your PS pump and Hydro-Boost a few times.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...ng_dcoe_google

https://dizeman.com/kong/kong.jandk.capehatteras.jpg
Nice review, ILi mastered a direct synthetic replacement to Sperm Whale oil