Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Alternator died and when I replaced it, the truck is skipping and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 10:46 AM
Default Alternator died and when I replaced it, the truck is skipping and backfiring

Good morning,
My H2 started running funny, making no power and not liking to shift. At that point I realized the alternator was bad and we towed it home and I replaced the alternator.
I replaced it last weekend, fully charged the battery and was finally able to take it for a ride this morning. It's not making the amount of power it should, and it has a little intermittent skip in it. Should this go away if I drive it a little bit, or where should I start looking?
And I really appreciate the help I get from you people.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:18 AM

This doesn’t seem like an alternator issue to me. Once the alternator is replaced it should be good to go right away.
did you get a check engine light?

Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 PM

No CEL, was wondering if the ECU may have learned some wrong stuff from the under voltage.
THe sensors work in an assumption of 12-14 volts. If that's off, they can give lots of bad info. Was hoping....

Old 02-27-2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Broncoguy27
Alternator died and when I replaced it, the truck is skipping and backfiringGood morning,
My H2 started running funny, making no power and not liking to shift. At that point I realized the alternator was bad and we towed it home and I replaced the alternator.
I replaced it last weekend, fully charged the battery and was finally able to take it for a ride this morning. It's not making the amount of power it should, and it has a little intermittent skip in it. Should this go away if I drive it a little bit, or where should I start looking?.
WTF?: "making no power and not liking to shift"?
Question: "where should I start looking"?
Answer:
Reinstall old alternator and drive to your local repair shop for a proper diagnosis/repair.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:06 PM

Ok.....
Since the vehicle makes 3.2 volts DC with the old alternator I will get right on that. It makes 14 with the new one.
Thank you for the brilliant advice.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Broncoguy27
Ok.....
Since the vehicle makes 3.2 volts DC with the old alternator I will get right on that. It makes 14 with the new one.
Thank you for the brilliant advice.
3.2v? Yet you never seen:

Old 02-27-2022, 05:39 PM
Default Yep

That is exactly what it did when the alternator quit. It started running really lousy at about the same time.
I've seen some Dodges from that generation that would pretty much lose their minds from the undervoltage. You would have to run them a couple hundred miles with things being weird until they would straighten out.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:40 PM

It's kind of amazing, I have to use twice the foot I used to to get up a hill, and I'm not getting a check engine light.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:00 PM

Get a quality scanner that can access all modules! In the meantime check here:

Old 02-27-2022, 06:01 PM

Thank you very much. Up until a couple years ago I was a partner in a garage not too far from where I lived so I never bought a good scanner. I have the homeowner version but I don't know if that will do this.
I will get a watch on that as soon as things are settled here, watching little monsters now.

Quick Reply: Alternator died and when I replaced it, the truck is skipping and backfiring