Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Plug & play audio speakers louder than oem Bose

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Default Plug & play audio speakers louder than oem Bose

Does anyone have a recommendation on replacement speakers that are better/louder than the original Bose ones and also just plug and play without running new wires? When my speakers are almost at full volume I don't feel like they get quite loud enough for me, and when going higher they become somewhat distorted.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 PM

I think Bose use 2 ohm speakers on our systems. you can double check the speaker with a multimeter. normally off the shelf car audio speakers are 4 ohm.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Goes without saying, but budget will dictate sound quality. I have an 09 with the lux amp and system. I put Focal PS165-FX in the doors and factory tweet location, kept the factory cross in place and WOW is the best description. I purchased the speakers from a guy upgrading his system-new they run ~$450ish. The lux Bose amp is pretty clean power, and alot of stuff runs through it. For a simple upgrade, leave it and just do speakers. The 2 vs 4 ohm issue changes power levels used by the speakers-lots of reading on the internet concerning it-but not a juge issue with the equipment on the Bose system. I also tried some Alpine and Pioneer speakers which did not provide the same quality improvement that the focals did, but they are lower cost models... There are a couple other threads on this topic with some great info.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:10 AM

Actually trying to directly measure a speakers impedance with a multimeter is not accurate however it can usually get you close. With a multimeter you are measuring DC resistance which is typically about 75% to 85% of the actual impedance value. What I've found over the years on other GM vehicles is sometimes Bose does some weird things and uses some odd speaker specs. The flat DC resistance should always be 20% or so lower than the actual impedance but then you find some oddball speaker that reads higher or some number that would mean a totally odd impedance. Sometimes they will wire some speakers in series while others might be in parallel and that could be done in the wiring in the vehicle OR in the amplifier. Usually most have found that on GM trucks that the door speakers usually test at around 3.2ohms which would be a 4ohm speaker but others have found some that test at 4.5 or so which would be an oddball as well as 2.5 or so which would also be an oddball. Typically the door, etc Bose speakers are 4 ohm and the Bose subs are 2 ohm. I think where it gets weird is that there are so many different Bose configurations. Our H2's have at least two different Bose configurations (and it might be more) with different amps and different speaker configurations. To truly test it you need to determine for sure by disconnecting any given speaker and testing it.

The other most often overlooked element is a speakers sensitivity which is what will really make a replacement speaker louder. From what I've read in the past is that the Bose speakers typically have a very high sensitivity of 90dB or more. If you put in speakers that are 85dB sensitivity they will not be nearly as loud at the same volume levels. The way Bose configures their amps is that they seem to be optimised for low impedance and high sensitivity speakers which lets the amp have a lower wattage. So a 2ohm speaker with a 87dB sensitivity is actually not as capable and will not play nearly as loud as a 4ohm speaker with a 90dB sensitivity on the same amp and the 4ohm one will not make the amp run as hot or work as hard. It really all gets complicated but you can google some of the terms like "speaker impedance vs sensitivity" and find plenty of articles that explain it in detail. Then you can also throw in speaker efficiency for even more brain hurting fun. lol

All I'm saying is, it's complicated. There have been thousands of threads on other forums on the subject with many that specifically are on the factory Bose systems in various GM vehicles (as well as other brands like the Monsoon systems, etc as well). I have not done enough searching on the subject specifically in regards to H2's though. If I did I'd want to be sure that any replies I'm looking at are specifically for the particular Bose system mine has (lux vs premium). I'm sure someone at some point has done some more specific tests of what might work well with the Bose amp in our Hummers but it might not be any current active members. There simply just are not nearly as many people that are active and posting on here or any other Hummer forums that there used to be when they were still being made so you might have to search a good bit to try and find a simple "this will work great" answer.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:24 PM

Good day,

I am fan of Klipsch. Is there a system that would replace the Bose (garbage) speakers that sounds similar to the premium quality of Klipsch?

Thank you.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Old 09-05-2023, 11:03 AM

I'm new to the forum, I have a 2007 h2 with the bose system/ nav. I installed a after market radio and was trying to get my subs up and running. I'm not sure how to post a forum on here so I'll ask here, when I connect my amp to the back of the new radio and everywhere else, my subs play extremely low. I've read that I need to bypass the factory amp. How do I go about doing that? I have a cross over and another amp I would like to use. Do I just run a couple wires from the factory amp, to a line out converter, to the crossover, then to my new amp? Or is it more to do? Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-05-2023, 11:51 AM

if you already installed an aftermarket radio. use the sub output it probably has at your disposal. it should be there to use.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:20 PM

I tried using it, it only had one output. Usually there's one for output and one for input, but I went and bought a rca splitter from best buy, plugged it up and the sound works, it's just extremely low. I assume I need to run off of the subout from the amplifier

Old 09-05-2023, 03:34 PM

you run the sub out from the radio to your crossover and amp you mentioned you have available then to your sub box. bass is usually used in mono .thats why there is probably one output for it. also maybe you have to check the radio settings for bass settings and volume.