Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Oil in Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:47 AM
Unhappy Oil in Coolant

So here is where I stand. I had milky oil in coolant when the truck overheated. I figured it was blown head gasket or possible cracked head. I stripped it down, replaced gasket had heads checked and all back together. I have filled it back up with water to flush the system, ran it, drained it and done it again. The first time it began over heating (which I assume was residual oil), and the second time it didn't. I left it overnight and came back out to drain it again and quite a bit of sludge was still in the bottom of the radiator.

So questions, is this just going to take a bit to flush all this junk out?
Could I have some cross contamination elsewhere?
If so what's the best way to check contamination from the oil cooler?

I don't think it's transmission cooler, no slipping and transmission oil seems fine.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Was there a problem with the heads or head gaskets? I would put my money on the trans cooler. You should bypass the tranny cooler in the radiator anyway. So that would be your next step in diagnosing your issue.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 AM

I had this issue in my H3, the radiator failed internally causing tranmission fluid to mix into the coolant making it look milky as you described. I preemptively bypassed this design on my H2 with an external tranny cooler