PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Default Oil change?

I checked the oil today since it came up on my dash that is was time to change the oil. I used synthetic oil only in this truck, I am not due for another 1k, with synthetic I have been changing oil every 5k. I am 3-4 quarts low! Wtf, it is an Alpha but 5k isn't much for oil to be so low, no leaks and no smoke out tailpipes. Anyone had an H3 that went through oil like this or is this normal?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM

That is not normal, and you are lucky that it is still running. There may be damage already done, but just hasn't shown up yet. We check our oil level once a week when we wash the Hummer. It is just a good practice to get into. As vehicles age and parts get more worn a lot of times they do go through some oil between oil changes but that is a huge amount and not safe for your vehicle to be running that low on oil. Always check your oil often. I set a calendar in my phone just in case I forget.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nijoma
I checked the oil today since it came up on my dash that is was time to change the oil. I used synthetic oil only in this truck, I am not due for another 1k, with synthetic I have been changing oil every 5k. I am 3-4 quarts low! Wtf, it is an Alpha but 5k isn't much for oil to be so low, no leaks and no smoke out tailpipes. Anyone had an H3 that went through oil like this or is this normal?
Did you reset the OLMS the last time you changed your oil? If you did, then it is telling you that because it ran so low, time to change it.

Check your radiator fluid and trans for cross contamination.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM

He HAD to mean 3/4 of a quart. Didn't he?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM

I have an alpha and use to lose oil between changes like your talking. Two things why do you think you have lost 3 quarts? Are you going off the dots on the dip stick? I was told last oil change the stick only reads about a quart. With that being said I was loosing a little more than a quart. When I took it in to the dealer for my oil change i had them check for leaks. Turns out they replaced an oil seal groove that was melted to the axel. The normal oil leak signs were not there for me either.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ekeef
I have an alpha and use to lose oil between changes like your talking. Two things why do you think you have lost 3 quarts? Are you going off the dots on the dip stick? I was told last oil change the stick only reads about a quart. With that being said I was loosing a little more than a quart. When I took it in to the dealer for my oil change i had them check for leaks. Turns out they replaced an oil seal groove that was melted to the axel. The normal oil leak signs were not there for me either.
Oil seal groove that melted to your axle.......what? Did you pay for this or was it warranty?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Oil seal groove that melted to your axle.......what? Did you pay for this or was it warranty?
No it was a warranty repair...

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Default Turns out 3quarts low

Nothing wrong can be found, it is synthetic and about 6 k on truck since last change. Just have to be more careful to check oil and either add along the way or change the oils every 4-5k

Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM

How much oil did it lose? was it 3 to 4 quarts? or did you mean 3/4 of one quart?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Default No

I was down close to three

Quick Reply: Oil change?