Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

No crank no start after replacing Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:37 PM
Default No crank no start after replacing Starter

2003 H2 Hummer
Helpppp I'm stuck here. The starter was going out and I would have to smack it a few times and it would run again. Well I was holding off until the weekend. Well needless to say the Hummer took a crap at Walmart and no smacking the starter helped after trying for a half hour. I got it towed home, replaced the starter and the lights all come on but no crank or start. We took the starter out took it to get it tested and it works. I also replaced starter relay, and tested all fuses. Put the starter back in and still all lights no crank or start! I've read things about GM security locking the vehicle and not letting it run after disconnecting the battery. My key gets stuck in the ignition and some of the lights will stay on. I removed under the steering wheel and push the release to get the hummer to turn off and get the key out. Does anyone have any ideas if this is a security thing or if I'm missing something?!

Old 02-05-2024, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by c.hurt091012
2003 H2 Hummer
Helpppp I'm stuck here. The starter was going out and I would have to smack it a few times and it would run again. Well I was holding off until the weekend. Well needless to say the Hummer took a crap at Walmart and no smacking the starter helped after trying for a half hour. I got it towed home, replaced the starter and the lights all come on but no crank or start. We took the starter out took it to get it tested and it works. I also replaced starter relay, and tested all fuses. Put the starter back in and still all lights no crank or start! I've read things about GM security locking the vehicle and not letting it run after disconnecting the battery. My key gets stuck in the ignition and some of the lights will stay on. I removed under the steering wheel and push the release to get the hummer to turn off and get the key out. Does anyone have any ideas if this is a security thing or if I'm missing something?!

Old 02-05-2024, 07:28 PM

When you replace a starter there are both one small wire and one large to connect.
Starter itself is the ground, bolting directly to block.

I put in a brand new ac delco starter, bolted it all in and nothing...

Turns out the connector for solenoid was broken internally, put on a new connector, it started instantly and has been perfect since.

Insert key and turn to start position.
Put on a heavy leather work glove and jump start poles with insulated screwdriver or a heavy gauge wire or test light... Approx. 20-30amp's'ish.

This will narrow down issue at the very least.
If it starts you have an issue with solenoid (maybe a connector issue like mine.?)

If that doesn't work, try running a jumper cable from positive on battery to positive connection on starter (with key in on position).
If no action directly connected to battery, its a bad alternator...

Assuming you have checked fuses and relays?
Ensured everything is bolted properly and "tight connectors"?

Last edited by XLRH2; 02-05-2024 at 07:35 PM.