Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

My 2007 h2

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:10 AM

So a tuner could enable my fans and make that my default or stock setting? I’m really lacking knowledge of what can and can’t be done

Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Essentially yes. That still would not prevent something from overwriting that default setting in a few rare scenarios though.

For example - if I am going to mess with a vehicles tuning with my EFI Live the very first thing I do is connect to the vehicle and make a backup of the stock tune. I name that file and make a duplicate copy of it in a different folder specifically for use as a last resort return to stock backup. In this case I'd modify that to only enable the fans and write that back to the pcm. Test to be sure they are working correctly. If so then I'd start over again as if I'd never touched it. Make the (now modified for fans) tune as my last resort stock backup.

Then going forward any modifications for performance would be based on the one with the fans enabled. Another helpful change in the PCM tune is to recalibrate the speedometer for different size tires. Or if you were to regear the differentials to a different gear ratio that is also adjusted in the tune.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:38 AM

That’s great to know. What do you need to have to be able to do that? I think a handheld device can have files sent to it and then downloaded. I need to find someone in Vegas.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 AM

A couple of options you will come across. Places that do dyno tuning are one but those are often a proprietary tuning system specific to the dyno. Second will be shops that do custom tunes for performance accessories like superchargers, cams, headers, etc but do tuning using some on road monitoring and tuning.

One thing to be aware of is a lot of places also "lock" the custom tunes they do. With EFI Live and I'm pretty sure HP Tuners as well one can basically write protect your PCM which essentially locks you and anyone else, including a dealership out of it from any further changes. Only the device which locked it will be able to unlock it. I personally do not like this practice and would never personally allow some tuner to lock me out of my own PCM.

Do it yourself is an expensive option (HP Tuners and EFI Live are the two most popular for this level of tuning access) and has quite a learning curve for anything more than the most basic editing.

Both HPT and EFI use a small portable device that plugs into the OBD port and just as you said, can connect to the PCM and download/upload custom tunes (calibrations) to the PCM as well as full PCM software updates. Both have different licensing schemes and both are very powerful tools but neither one is cheap...

Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 AM

That’s just about what I figured. I hate shopping for stuff I know nothing about. I will really need to do some research

Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 AM

This is really hard on me because I don’t like anyone working on my stuff! I bet OP feel the same way here

I just called BP Automotive and ordered my fan harness and it was 150 + 10 shipping. Funny thing I went to purchase it last night on there site and shipping was 16.66 and when I called to order it she said they only charge 10 flat shipping rate. Saved 6 bucks by making a phone call and I asked again if this will work on my H2. I believe I have everything I need except for tuning. Took instructions for the Sonnax stuff I bought to Bobs Transmission shop today and the transmission was out and looking good. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday it should be done.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Agree with everything MixManSC said about the tune, typically the pro tuners only lock the tune if it is something they feel they developed. I don't see a tuner locking a tune just for turning the fans on but I would ask before allowing anyone to lock your ECM.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Ok so I ordered my 7 blade 9 blade fan Assembly and it just got here. I opened it up and it’s in great shape except that it’s a 5 blade 7 blade assembly. I called LKQ and gave the young lady the part number on the tag and she said yep that’s not it. I asked will my replacement have similar mileage and she said that it has 37k miles and it’s a 2013 Escalade and it’s in Las Vegas. That’s really good news and the best thing is that she told me to recycle the part they sent that was wrong. So now I have a practice assembly to fit and cut on.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM

I received my new OEM fuse box cover and it’s the one I needed. Thanks Mixmansc for finding it for me. I haven’t heard from you today and I’m thinking you’re at the Trump rally in NC. I can’t believe I got this part for 20$ shipped. My fan setup is going to be amazing and look factory!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 PM

I'm looking forward to the build.

Quick Reply: My 2007 h2