Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

larger battery that is more readily available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:15 PM

yeah thats why i passed it on from my first vehicle to the second. but the point was really just getting something to fit that is not the stock battery. hell the optima does not even have the GM posts i had to use those autozone post to side mount adapters. has worked just fine. and its less CCA then the GM spec battery. but i do not have aftermarket gadgets other then a FM BT cigaret lighter thingy that i pull out when i leave the truck since for some reason those ports stay live all the time even after the truck is off

Old 05-26-2020, 06:16 PM

thanks for all the input everyone!

i wanted to ask tho how much CCA do our trucks even need tho?
840 seems very high and much higher then other trucks with bigger engines.

correct me if i am wrong but the battery is just for starting the vehicle and once the vehicle is on, the alternator should take over and the battery is essentially not be using correct? however once the vehicle is shut off then obviously the lights, radio, etc etc will run off the battery which would have to do with the reserve capacity. higher reserve capacity meaning more time to use those gadgets

i dont really have any extra mods or anything and nor do i ever listen to music etc when the truck is off. so do i really need 840 cca?

but also on a second hand it seems like 840cca is a good thing correct me if i am wrong because when it degrades etc it will be at about 700cca for example. i am just pulling numbers out of the air.
however if i compare that to a regular 750cca battery, then over the same amount of time in theory the degradation would bring it down to 650 cca.
lets say my truck needs in theory 675 cca to start minimum, and then in this scenario the 840cca would still be able to crank my truck until a certain date while the smaller battery would have already degraded to the point where it cannot start the truck anymore

i do live in alberta and it does get pretty cold here in the winters
so in this case, is it a good idea to get the bigger battery or am i wrong?

Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
yeah thats why i passed it on from my first vehicle to the second. but the point was really just getting something to fit that is not the stock battery. hell the optima does not even have the GM posts i had to use those autozone post to side mount adapters. has worked just fine. and its less CCA then the GM spec battery. but i do not have aftermarket gadgets other then a FM BT cigaret lighter thingy that i pull out when i leave the truck since for some reason those ports stay live all the time even after the truck is off
More connections=more points for failure. I don't recommend.
I've been through many batteries in my lifetime, yet only 4 on my H3, OEM, Johnson controls, Optima red top, & Deka.
My Deka (Dated K-4=11/2014) still shows 12.5v resting, and cost me under $100usd.
I found a winner!
Btw, Deka batteries are sold under different name brands, Napa Legend, Sears Diehard Gold, Carquest Premium Plus, etc..
OP was looking for a quality battery at a fair price and I recommend the DEKA ULTIMATE, just click on the EastPenn link I posted above and search retailers in your area, then contact all, for the best price, rebates, sales, etc. Same battery manufacturer, with different labels.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by apollo18
thanks for all the input everyone!

i wanted to ask tho how much CCA do our trucks even need tho?
840 seems very high and much higher then other trucks with bigger engines.

correct me if i am wrong but the battery is just for starting the vehicle and once the vehicle is on, the alternator should take over and the battery is essentially not be using correct? however once the vehicle is shut off then obviously the lights, radio, etc etc will run off the battery which would have to do with the reserve capacity. higher reserve capacity meaning more time to use those gadgets

i dont really have any extra mods or anything and nor do i ever listen to music etc when the truck is off. so do i really need 840 cca?

but also on a second hand it seems like 840cca is a good thing correct me if i am wrong because when it degrades etc it will be at about 700cca for example. i am just pulling numbers out of the air.
however if i compare that to a regular 750cca battery, then over the same amount of time in theory the degradation would bring it down to 650 cca.
lets say my truck needs in theory 675 cca to start minimum, and then in this scenario the 840cca would still be able to crank my truck until a certain date while the smaller battery would have already degraded to the point where it cannot start the truck anymore

Just install a good quality battery, that meets or exceeds oem specs. Voltage drop causes issues and premature component failures, so be wise, not cheap here. With due diligence you can find a quality battery at a reasonable price, and don't buy a battery because of the label.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:06 PM

I would, however since you are paying, make a call for more pricing and retailer information 779MF vs 778MF, then decide.
  • EAST PENN CANADA
  • 18543-104 Avenue N.W.
  • Edmonton, 18543-104 Avenue N.W. T5S 2V8
  • Phone: 780-454-1001

Old 05-26-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I would, however since you are paying, make a call for more pricing and retailer information 779MF vs 778MF, then decide.
  • EAST PENN CANADA
  • 18543-104 Avenue N.W.
  • Edmonton, 18543-104 Avenue N.W. T5S 2V8
  • Phone: 780-454-1001
thank you so much i owe you one

Old 04-22-2021, 03:41 PM
Default 78 group battery instead of 79

ahh darn yeah i think i will probably have to do that.
correct me if i am wrong but a larger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and higher cca right?

i was wondering what are the negatives of lets say running a group 78 side post with 800 cca? it seems like i can save $140 if i run a group 78.
regardless if the battery is side or top post, i can just rewire the battery cables and change them to top post no?
however i am open to running something larger too but it cant be near obselete like a group 79.

being in canada sucks
1) Group 78 battery size: 260x180x186 cm, or 10.25x7.0625x7.3125 inches, and CCA 465-875
2) Group 79 battery size: 307x179x188 cm, or 12.0625x7.0625x7.375 inches, and CCA 800-840
So group 78 will fit if you will buy the model with high CCA.
About battery posts: there are batteries with two types of posts. This means you don't have to make any changes to your wires.

Here are many dual terminal batteries (2 types of posts): https://batterygroupexpert.com/best-group-78-battery/
Pay attention to batteries with 850 and 880 CCA (Odyssey and NorthStar)
Optima, with its 800 CCA, is good too.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:43 PM

ahh darn yeah i think i will probably have to do that.
correct me if i am wrong but a larger battery will have a higher reserve capacity and higher cca right?

i was wondering what are the negatives of lets say running a group 78 side post with 800 cca? it seems like i can save $140 if i run a group 78.
regardless if the battery is side or top post, i can just rewire the battery cables and change them to top post no?
however i am open to running something larger too but it cant be near obselete like a group 79.

being in canada sucks
1) Group 78 battery size: 260x180x186 cm, or 10.25x7.0625x7.3125 inches, and CCA 465-875
2) Group 79 battery size: 307x179x188 cm, or 12.0625x7.0625x7.375 inches, and CCA 800-840
So group 78 will fit if you will buy the model with high CCA.
About battery posts: there are batteries with two types of posts. This means you don't have to make any changes to your wires.

Here are many dual terminal batteries (2 types of posts): https://batterygroupexpert.com/best-group-78-battery/
Pay attention to batteries with 850 and 880 CCA (Odyssey and NorthStar)
Optima, with its 800 CCA, is good too.