PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Default Battery Issue

How much does it cost to go to a old Hummer dealership and get them to replace the battery? My battery was fine and one day I left the lights on and now it struggles badly to come on and some cold mornings I have to jump it off. How much would it cost to go to Hummer dealership(Or Ex.) and get them to replace it? What would you do?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM

A couple of questions:

How old is the battery? Is it the original battery?
If it is, then at 3 yrs. old it could be going.

Did you recharge the battery fully with a battery charger after it went dead?
If you just jumped it and only run short distances, then it may not be fully recharged. I would charge it with a charger then see if it holds that charge before getting a new battery.

Lastly, if you need a new battery, then go to a local auto parts store such as Autozone or Advanced Auto. Buy a battery there and they will install it for free for you right then and there. It will be much cheaper than going to a dealer.
Expect to pay about $100.00 for a good battery from a store. Prepare to pay double that at a dealer because they will charge installation labor too.

Last edited by Bunger; 11-12-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 PM

my original battery supplied by gm was much too small. I think it was around 500ca or less now I have 1000ca installed by me (had to clearance the battery box to fit this one) but living in the nwt canada cold mornings are routine and its nice to have extra ca

Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

smart move,get the biggest you can cram in there!.

a lot of people struggle to buy the "right"one for their car! ive found the biggest is often the same price as smaller batts,ala walmart!

i plan to do a side by side for redundancy, flip a sw and go. this can be good even with smaller batts if necessary. the key is good connections

Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 PM

I have a 2007 H3. The people at the tire store told me it would cost 250 to get a new battery and install it. They said it had to be a "Hummer" Battery. Is that true?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Banned

no its bullshxt, you can use one from a toyota or my old pinto,or,or,, a PRIUS!. if its 12 v and the conn fit youre good.

as in the prev posts, bigger is better
as long as the engine is running the alt runs everything. the batt is there to get u started next time and keep the radio going while you're waiting for your wife.

walmart, autozone,about $ 70, get the biggest that will fit or mod the box for a bigger one

Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Theuofmiami
I have a 2007 H3. The people at the tire store told me it would cost 250 to get a new battery and install it. They said it had to be a "Hummer" Battery. Is that true?
I would have told them to GFTS. That was a blatant attempt to rip you off.
It's typical of the chain store mentality that's ruining the auto service industry.
Get a battery from Autozone or Advance Auto or some other local auto parts store. They install for free if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Get the highest cranking amp battery of the same physical size as your current battery, just make sure the posts are oriented the same so your cables will reach.

Last edited by Bunger; 11-13-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

yep
i actually get the heaviest,biggest that fits and connects, figuring theres more lead in it,,same price!

at walmart,same series,many sizes,same price, they keep it simple!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Theuofmiami
If it were me, I'd go back there and tell them to order up one of them "Hummer" batteries and call me when it comes in, then I'll be right back to pay for it..... but, ONLY if it IS a "Hummer" brand battery.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

yeah,id like a pix of thaten! that how to stop the bs

Quick Reply: Battery Issue