Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hummer H2 Driver Side Seat Heater (button shows it coming on and going off)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:22 PM

well I Had a turn for the worst - lol while messing with the buttons I was rolling down the passenger side window and the regulator broke... one side is still on and I was able to power it up while holding onto the glass... but I pulled it apart and only the back side moves up and down... the front is trashed. So now I have a goofy seat heater to fix and a power window regulator to fix..

not cool

Old 09-12-2018, 12:07 PM

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-repair-34065/
Since it is starting to get a little chilly here is Ohio I decided to repair the heated front seats in my 2003 H2. When the heated seat buttons were pressed on either door they would light up for half a second and then go out. No heat to either front seat. I figured I had a short in one or more of the seat heater elements which I confirmed to be driver's lower heater element only. Problem is the 2003 H2 made the seat heater elements as part of the leather seat cover. $$$ to replace. So I bought a seat heater element for a full size Chevy truck of the same year (GM part number 88940288) and installed it between the foam and the seat cover. Now both heated seats work fine and you don't notice the slight extra thickness in the driver's lower seat.

I noticed this today... anyone else try this? I wish I could get a used one and plug it in to test...

Old 09-12-2018, 12:21 PM

That sounds like EXACTLY what I need to try!!!

Old 09-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Yeah... I thought same. I still feel like mine is switch related. Everyone I see shows that when the element is bad it will just shut off on its own after a short time. Mine stays on and you see the switch cycle through all the heating levels... it never stops. I will say this though. I don’t think the seat bottom get warm... it’s just the back (need to test agn to be sure). I wish I knew someone that would let me try theirs.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Alright. I was able to buy another switch. So far that fixed my issue. As it is, if you have my problem where the switch is switching from one heat range to the next over and over... it’s the switch. If the seat heater turns off shortly after you turn it in. It’s one of the seat elements.

I still need some test time, but I didn’t see it happen after I replaced it. I’ll update the thread after a few days.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
Alright. I was able to buy another switch. So far that fixed my issue. As it is, if you have my problem where the switch is switching from one heat range to the next over and over... it’s the switch. If the seat heater turns off shortly after you turn it in. It’s one of the seat elements.

I still need some test time, but I didn’t see it happen after I replaced it. I’ll update the thread after a few days.
That's really good news and good to know. I still haven't had time to look into my problem. It is next on my list. I will report back as well once I dig into it. My front seats look brand new, which is unusual for decade old leather. I have a sneaking suspicion the previous owner replaced the seat covers and did not swap over the heating elements. I won't know until I look though, hopefully this weekend.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:05 PM

I bet your right. The new replacements don’t come with the elements... I want to replace my seat covers as well (it’s on my list).

good luck!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM

I finally had time to look under my seat, on the drivers side nothing is plugged into the green connector. So looks like my theory was correct, the previous owner replaced the seat bottom but didn't move the element over (lazy b@stard). I ordered the heating element from The Seat Shop for GM part equivalent 88940288. I didn't get the GM one because it was $150, and I didn't get the Dorman one because I've read the connector wiring isn't long enough to reach under the seat. Hopefully The Seat Shop one is good ($70). I'll report back after I test/install it. It says it's made for Cadillac and others but I think it'll work for the H2. I know that if one element is jacked up then by design none will work. So I'm praying after I replace the drivers side seat bottom element, then the drivers side back and passengers side back and bottom will start working without being replaced.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:03 PM

Good luck! And keep me posted. It’s all just a matter of time till we all need to do this for one reason or another. I’d love to know if that element fits and works.

Get some picks of your work

Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 PM

I plugged in the new heating element and all my heated seats work again now. Luckily for me, it was just the seat bottom leather being replaced and element not transferred, and not the back shorting out, the back seems like a bigger pain to replace. I will take pictures when I remove the seat cover and install the pad.
Pad I got off Amazon that worked on my 04 H2:
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Hummer H2 Driver Side Seat Heater (button shows it coming on and going off)