Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 seated seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Smile 2003 H2 seated seat repair

Since it is starting to get a little chilly here is Ohio I decided to repair the heated front seats in my 2003 H2. When the heated seat buttons were pressed on either door they would light up for half a second and then go out. No heat to either front seat. I figured I had a short in one or more of the seat heater elements which I confirmed to be driver's lower heater element only. Problem is the 2003 H2 made the seat heater elements as part of the leather seat cover. $$$ to replace. So I bought a seat heater element for a full size Chevy truck of the same year (GM part number 88940288) and installed it between the foam and the seat cover. Now both heated seats work fine and you don't notice the slight extra thickness in the driver's lower seat.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Good job. did it plug right in?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Yep, plugged right in.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SafetyRick
Since it is starting to get a little chilly here is Ohio I decided to repair the heated front seats in my 2003 H2. When the heated seat buttons were pressed on either door they would light up for half a second and then go out. No heat to either front seat. I figured I had a short in one or more of the seat heater elements which I confirmed to be driver's lower heater element only. Problem is the 2003 H2 made the seat heater elements as part of the leather seat cover. $$$ to replace. So I bought a seat heater element for a full size Chevy truck of the same year (GM part number 88940288) and installed it between the foam and the seat cover. Now both heated seats work fine and you don't notice the slight extra thickness in the driver's lower seat.
same thing happened to my 2003 H2 heated seats. I removed the pads stitch by stitch and replaced the pads. All is well now. I had the leather guy do this for me when I changed my leather seats last week. Working well now.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci
same thing happened to my 2003 H2 heated seats. I removed the pads stitch by stitch and replaced the pads. All is well now. I had the leather guy do this for me when I changed my leather seats last week. Working well now.
I know this thread is rather old but this is the next project I want to tackle with my 04 H2. On both the drivers side and passenger side when I press the heated seat buttons the orange light flashes and they don't turn on. How difficult are the seats to remove? Is it possible to take the seat covers apart without taking the seats out? Is there any troubleshooting I should do besides replacing the heating element pads first? Is there a way to figure out which pad has gone bad before taking the seats apart? This is something I've never attempted in any car before so I want to be more confident before I tear things apart. I definitely don't want to take it to the dealer to have them troubleshoot, they'd just tell me I need new seats anyway, which is impossible. I know the elements are sewn directly into the leather. It pisses me off they don't work so I really want to attempt fixing them. Thanks a billion to anyone who can offer advice

Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 PM
Default Same problem

W/ the heated seats, I see you can purchase them on Amazon, but I'm not big on taking out the seat & re-stitching the heating element back in. Does anyone have an idea on how much this would cost to get it repaired at a local shop?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Byers
W/ the heated seats, I see you can purchase them on Amazon, but I'm not big on taking out the seat & re-stitching the heating element back in. Does anyone have an idea on how much this would cost to get it repaired at a local shop?
I was scared to do it myself but it is actually pretty easy. The heating elements come with double sided tape so you don't need to stitch the new one in, just stick it to the foam. It took me a couple hours but I hadn't done it before. You'd be looking at paying several hours labor and the cost of the elements. Most likely an upholstery shop would be where you'd need to take it. But honestly it's an easy job to do yourself.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
I was scared to do it myself but it is actually pretty easy. The heating elements come with double sided tape so you don't need to stitch the new one in, just stick it to the foam. It took me a couple hours but I hadn't done it before. You'd be looking at paying several hours labor and the cost of the elements. Most likely an upholstery shop would be where you'd need to take it. But honestly it's an easy job to do yourself.
Fair enough. If I can take the time to replace a solenoid in the transmission pan, then this shouldn't bother me so much. Thanks for the quick response. I'm assuming the seats have to come out? Did you get the heaters off of Amazon, or anywhere cheaper? Thanks again for your response.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Byers
Fair enough. If I can take the time to replace a solenoid in the transmission pan, then this shouldn't bother me so much. Thanks for the quick response. I'm assuming the seats have to come out? Did you get the heaters off of Amazon, or anywhere cheaper? Thanks again for your response.
Yes I took the seat out. It is 4 bolts and one connector to the chassis, or 2 if you have headrest DVD. I got the heaters off of Amazon from The Seat Shop, I think they're $69 each. Don't get the Dorman one because the connector isn't long enough. I had uploaded photos in another thread recently when I did the replacement if you wanna look at that.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:01 AM

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 seated seat repair