Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Gheez.I Busted The Center Upper HVAC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 09:49 PM
Default Gheez.I Busted The Center Upper HVAC Vents

I think there was a thread about trying to locate the center upper HVAC vents on my 2009 H2 SUV LUX. But I can't find it now. Anyway I read thru that thread and tried everywhere to find these Vents. The GM Number I got from that thread was 20815050. There is a Left and right Vent mounted into the Metal surround around the NAV Radio.

They are not made any longer. While working on removing my NAV Radio I damaged the little Vent fins. The part that moves them up and down snapped and one of them is really bad as the little fins came out . It looks like I'll be removing the vents and trying to repair them with Hot Glue and Super glue.
Anyone ever tried repairing one?

Maybe one of you Fatboy H2 owners (That's What I call my H2) have any ideas to help out? Maybe a source for repair or somewhere to go to find a set?
I have an online junkyard locater now looking for a set. My other option is to buy the complete metal NAV Radio Surround which is in a Silver color. It comes complete with the Vents.

The funny thing is that there are Vent parts for the older H2's with the Boo Bee Vents but the 2008 and 2009 are different. Not a set to be had on the web.
When I was in Vietnam in 1967 as a Combat Engineer. I worked on mostly heavy equipment like truck mounted cranes and Bull dozers Etc. When I needed a part that was not readily available I would go to my platoon sergeant who was in charge and asked if he could get me the part. His answer comes back to me now ...which was.... "Put An Adapter On Your Butt And Poop One" ...I whish I could do that Now.

Any Help gratefully appreciated .... Thanks: Mark R

Old 06-17-2022, 06:31 PM

I wonder if the actual vent inserts in the center are the same as the ones on the ends?

Old 06-17-2022, 07:53 PM

20815050 #5 (08-09): Contact J&J They have a recent '08 part out. 800-425-1555

Old 06-17-2022, 10:33 PM

Hey Thanks HUMMERZ...

Checked out the Video and if you notice the Vents in that HUMMER H2 are broke also. The passenger side is broke and the two center Vents are also broke. What breaks in the center vents is the teeny tiny actuating lever which is connected to the fins in the vents on one side. It always brakes on the very bottom fin. That's because the Actuator arm is thinnest at that point and bent at a weird angle which puts stress on that area and it snaps if you force it pass the stop.

Any way.. I'll try and find a complete Surround as the vents are secured by melting a plastic rivets on each side of the vent housing. What I did to day was pull the vent housing off of the surround and reinstalled the fins in a straight flat position and Supper Glued them. I can still direct the air left and right and Close the air off as I removed the activating arm that connects to the fins. At least it looks like nothing is broke.

Thanks for taking the time to research that for me. I'll keep looking for a Complete surround with the vents. So remember...easy on the **** when you close the vent fins.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I wonder if the actual vent inserts in the center are the same as the ones on the ends?
Thanks for the reply Mix Man. The center vents have a left side and a right side. The mounting is not the same. They do look the same I guess to keep the same flow and look in the panel. The center Vents are secured by 2 Plastic stubs that has been melted down to form what looks like a rivet. I had to use my Dremel Tool and grind out the rivets to release them......along with scraping off the Hot Glue they use to secure everything in the center surround.

Old 06-20-2022, 03:47 PM

that might be a good candidate for a 3d printer. if you know any one that does that type of stuff.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:56 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by bronxteck
that might be a good candidate for a 3d printer. if you know any one that does that type of stuff.
Yep it would be a good idea. But there are a Bazzlion parts in there. Teeny Tiny little rods and parts. Just to give you a idea... The vents have little pins on the fin ends...They attach to left and right strips with holes. Each hole has a little cup that sits in the strip hole. The pins on the fins go inside the little cups which are pressed into the larger hole in the strip making up the array of vent fins.

What's even more complicated is that each fin has a Number on it. One thru Six. Number 1 starts at the top and goes down to number 6 fin. The strip holes are 6 different diameters that the fins plug into.

Not to mention the rear left and right air directing fins. They are set with a stronger design which is not the same as the up and down fins just mentioned. These use different components to make up the design.

Then there are the crank wheels which have cam cut outs that hook to the strip activators. I could go on and on. For the life of me I can't imagine how they put these things together. But I can tell you... Made in China.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:47 PM
Default Fixed vents work for me

I've never adjusted my vents? When I'm cold I switch to heat, when I'm hot, I switch to cool. If I need more heat on my toes I switch air flow control downward. When I need more cool air on my face, I switch air flow control upward.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I've never adjusted my vents? When I'm cold I switch to heat, when I'm hot, I switch to cool. If I need more heat on my toes I switch air flow control downward. When I need more cool air on my face, I switch air flow control upward.

Yep That works for me... That's why I superglued the one vent that went south after making the fins all straight. I can still shut the flow of air off by moving the crank wheel full closed. There is a Flapper Valve in the rear of the Vent assembly that shuts the air flow off when you position the vents in the fully closed position. The other one in the center driver side still works ,but the bottom vent is lazy and doesn't close all the way. But in the straight open mode it looks fine.

So I'll be directing the air flow from left to right to make it work for me. The left right function still works on the other crank wheel. Of course I can still control the air flow as you mentioned with Main Panel Computer control.

Last edited by Mark R; 06-20-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling