PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Brake Broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Default Emergency Brake Broke

My 08' Emergency Brake broke & I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen or if there's an easy fix or what I need to do to fix it! Thanks

Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM

So what broke? Did the cable break or seize? Is the pedal assy working. It's not a complicated system but we will need a bit more info to help you out.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Ditto the previous comment.

Its most likely a cable of which there are 3, one Attachment 26780from the foot-peddle to a junction-bracket which in-turn links to the LH & RH rear brakes.

If your peddle has dropped to the floor you can pull it back up by hand to stop the warning sounsd (CAUTION Your emergency brake won't work!)

As a tip, if one cable has broken then buy a pair and change both because sooner or later the other will fail.

You will find a 10mm open-ended wrench fits nicely over the cable "tangs" to help release them. A zip-tie pulled through the center of the springs helps compress them to hold-off the tension this makes life easy. Cut the ties-off when the jobs done.

Keep us posted

Attached Thumbnails Emergency Brake Broke-hummer-parking-brake.jpg  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Talking

Yep had One Cable Blow on my 09 H2 SUV. I have an extended warranty.. They changed out the cable and I was good to go, The real PITA is changing E-Brake shoes. I'm not there yet but I think all of us at one time have started to roll with the E Brake on.

You have to pull the Rear Caliber and then the Brake rotor and require a Special gauge that you adjust the shoes too. This sets the diameter to match the inside of the rotor E Brake area.

But ..I ain't doing that job .... I'll let the warranty pay for it when it's time.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Yeah - did those on my GMC truck. Same setup "hat in rotor". The e brake is basically a tiny drum brake using the hub of the disc brake rotor as the drum. Was not terrible really - I did not do any special adjusting. Just replaced the little brake shoes and seemed to work great after.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yeah - did those on my GMC truck. Same setup "hat in rotor". The e brake is basically a tiny drum brake using the hub of the disc brake rotor as the drum. Was not terrible really - I did not do any special adjusting. Just replaced the little brake shoes and seemed to work great after.

Cool..If you look in the Service Manual..(N Truck) 3 Gigantic Books each one about 3 inches thick you will see at least on the 09 H2 that they show you that special tool to adjust the shoes out too to get the correct gap between the hat inside and the shoe.

Might be different on the younger 2's....