Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 12:54 AM
Default Battery recommendations?

Valvoline told me my battery running pretty low and I don’t know what’s a good battery for the 05 H2. Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 04-15-2022, 09:01 AM

I look for American made batteries, East Penn/Deka is a great manufacturer and their batteries are sold with many different labels.
I avoid Korean, Taiwan and Vietnamese products if I can help it and that is where a lot of batteries are coming in from.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by flashinq
Valvoline told me my battery running pretty low and I don’t know what’s a good battery for the 05 H2. Anyone have any recommendations?
I always had good luck with Advance Auto Parts... I looked up your year 2005 and here's a Link to a Die Hard for your rig. Expect to pay more for batteries due to inflation.... I just bought one of these for my 2009 H2 SUV LUX .. They install it for you right at the store and keep the rig powered up while they change out your old one.. You'll have to research again in the search box under hummer ..You might have to add your rig's year make and model.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...0051&langId=-1

Old 04-23-2022, 04:09 PM

My 2007 is 15 years old. I am on only my 2nd battery.

What battery you ask? Well, a GM battery, son. That is what you put in your Hummer.
What is it you ask? Cost? Oh yes, they are pricey, but son, would you rather buy 3 or 4 cheap batteries with which you double your odds of being stranded, or two expensive batteries?

Well son, now you have your answer. Call the general, he will help you.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by finall
My 2007 is 15 years old. I am on only my 2nd battery.

What battery you ask? Well, a GM battery, son. That is what you put in your Hummer.
What is it you ask? Cost? Oh yes, they are pricey, but son, would you rather buy 3 or 4 cheap batteries with which you double your odds of being stranded, or two expensive batteries?

Well son, now you have your answer. Call the general, he will help you.
Dude..That is Amazing... 15 years old and it hasn't eaten itself up yet? Never heard of a Auto Battery going 15 years.... What's the GM # for that Battery?

Old 04-23-2022, 05:19 PM

Middle East Battery Company manufactures batteries for General Motors
Middle East Battery Company is in Saudi Arabia; Wisconsin-based Johnson Controls owns 49 percent of the company and investors own 51 percent.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I look for American made batteries, East Penn/Deka is a great manufacturer and their batteries are sold with many different labels.
I avoid Korean, Taiwan and Vietnamese products if I can help it and that is where a lot of batteries are coming in from.
East Penn Manufacturing is a private company and the world's largest single-site, lead-acid battery facility.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Dude..That is Amazing... 15 years old and it hasn't eaten itself up yet? Never heard of a Auto Battery going 15 years.... What's the GM # for that Battery?
Note that I said 2nd battery in my post.

The first one was replaced Dec. 12, 2016, not because it was dead, but because it was 9 years old and still working.
This 2nd one has been in the H2 for 5.5 years now and going strong. Built 11/15, so that battery is 6.5 years old now. Expect to get another 4 years out of her.

GM# 88864064

You get what you pay for.

Last edited by finall; 04-23-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Note that I said 2nd battery in my post.

The first one was replaced Dec. 12, 2016, not because it was dead, but because it was 9 years old and still working.
This 2nd one has been in the H2 for 5.5 years now and going strong. Built 11/15, so that battery is 6.5 years old now. Expect to get another 4 years out of her.

GM# 88864064

You get what you pay for.
????? I've been in the automotive repair industry for over 30yrs with multiple companies. My last gig before I retired was SEARSAUTOCENTER.
The DIEHARD batteries were manufactured by JOHNSON CONTROLS (same for GM batteries) Yet the failure rate had a huge increase since 2000. Sears DIEHARD switched to East Penn to save the brand, which worked until Eddie Lampert took charge and liquidated. Now Advance Auto owns the Diehard brand, and switched back to JC.
Back to Sears Auto Center, customers would bring there vehicle, after needing a tow or jump start, or even bring their battery alone. Sears had Hi-Tech testing equipment, all the techs call it the "Tank". Set the battery in, connect the cables, shut the lid, and hit the start button to run the tests. Takes up to an hour to analyze. Failure rate average <5yrs.
JOHNSON CONTROL BATTERIES ARE NO LONGER>>> A "DIE-HARD" BATTERY!
On a side note, when I purchased my '07 in '12, it had a Walmart (Johnson Controls) battery in it. I removed and sold it on CL.