Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Air ride button on the dash H2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM

You cannot disable that unless you can find some way to first extract the firmware for the AS (air suspension module), decompile the software, hack it, recompile it, and write it back to the module. One catch also is where that specific bit of code is - that code could be in the AS module, or it could be in the BCM or PCM and one of those then just sends a signal to the AS module to lower back down. I can see why GM does it though as the center of gravity increases the risk of a turnover and at higher speeds a gust of wind or sudden swerve to avoid something might be disastrous so GM doesn't want liability for that.

Most any other workarounds will cause other issues. If you disconnect or disable the vehicle speed sensors at the wheels your ABS, traction control system, and other systems will stop working and cause all sort of error messages.

I think about the only way you would get around it would be to heavily modify the air ride system to use an aftermarket control. While not thinking of it for the idea of being able to drive above 40mph with the rear raised up this is something that I've been considering as a mod I'd like to do. My thought is there is plenty of room underneath along the frame to add an air tank or two. Use the compressor platform itself, the air ride height sensors, but my own much better and higher capacity compressor and controller. The air ride sensors are quite simple and are just a variable resistor (factory uses a 5V reference and it can vary from about .25v to about 4.75v with the center around 2.5v). Aftermarket air ride systems like on ambulances and other vehicles work using the same principles. Some even just using an analog lever that opens or closes valves to keep the ride height in the center point while higher end setups with in cab controls can use actual little air lines to physical switches or electronically controlled. I'd like to be able to occasionally use air tools if needed, air horns, and be able to inflate a tire or something much quicker than the stock compressor allows for. Also with manual control over the rear air bags as well to raise to a maximum level that the bags can go to without any risk of damage as well as lowering below stock height if desired for something. Longer term - would be awesome to add air adjustable shocks to the front and be able to raise/lower the front some as well. One important point for me though - I have zero desire to slam an H2 to the ground or put tiny hard as a rock rubber band tires on gigantic wheels on it.... lol On the idea of lowering the entire thing some, I'd probably only do that on an interstate road trip.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
You cannot disable that unless you can find some way to first extract the firmware for the AS (air suspension module), decompile the software, hack it, recompile it, and write it back to the module. One catch also is where that specific bit of code is - that code could be in the AS module, or it could be in the BCM or PCM and one of those then just sends a signal to the AS module to lower back down. I can see why GM does it though as the center of gravity increases the risk of a turnover and at higher speeds a gust of wind or sudden swerve to avoid something might be disastrous so GM doesn't want liability for that.

Most any other workarounds will cause other issues. If you disconnect or disable the vehicle speed sensors at the wheels your ABS, traction control system, and other systems will stop working and cause all sort of error messages.

I think about the only way you would get around it would be to heavily modify the air ride system to use an aftermarket control. While not thinking of it for the idea of being able to drive above 40mph with the rear raised up this is something that I've been considering as a mod I'd like to do. My thought is there is plenty of room underneath along the frame to add an air tank or two. Use the compressor platform itself, the air ride height sensors, but my own much better and higher capacity compressor and controller. The air ride sensors are quite simple and are just a variable resistor (factory uses a 5V reference and it can vary from about .25v to about 4.75v with the center around 2.5v). Aftermarket air ride systems like on ambulances and other vehicles work using the same principles. Some even just using an analog lever that opens or closes valves to keep the ride height in the center point while higher end setups with in cab controls can use actual little air lines to physical switches or electronically controlled. I'd like to be able to occasionally use air tools if needed, air horns, and be able to inflate a tire or something much quicker than the stock compressor allows for. Also with manual control over the rear air bags as well to raise to a maximum level that the bags can go to without any risk of damage as well as lowering below stock height if desired for something. Longer term - would be awesome to add air adjustable shocks to the front and be able to raise/lower the front some as well. One important point for me though - I have zero desire to slam an H2 to the ground or put tiny hard as a rock rubber band tires on gigantic wheels on it.... lol On the idea of lowering the entire thing some, I'd probably only do that on an interstate road trip.
Thanks for your response! I like your idea of a stronger compressor and larger tank to run pneumatic tools. An impact wrench and a pneumatic bottle jack might be nice for a quick tire change or lift during long trips... especially for old farts like myself.

Speaking of Road Trips... We left our home state of Nevada Sept.9th for a 8,400 mile, 22 state, 2 month Road Trip around America.

Yellowstone was one of the first National parks we visited, but we explored many others, including but not limited to, Custer Battlefield National Monument, Grand Teton National Park, Devil's Tower National Monument, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse on Thunder Mountain, Sturgis, the Black Hills/BADLANDS, the Smokey Mountains, Nashville, the Biltmore Estate/Vanderbilt Mansion, MAYBERRY RFD aka Mount Airy, NC. Spent three weeks in and around the Chesapeake Bay of Maryland and Virginia where I was born and grew up tonging oysters and potting crabs,

Then we headed back to Nevada along I-10, where we spent three days in Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills, site of Orville and Wilber Wright's FIRST FLIGHT, then three days on Hatteras Island, THE CAPE and made a dash through New Orleans, Mississippi and Texas where we got blasted by an ICE STORM at the US./ Mexican border, before sneaking through New Mexico... was under heavy quarantine, they strongly discouraged anyone from Texas or Nevada to travel through, so we SELF-QUARANTINED OURSELVES in the Hummer the entire four hour race to Arizona, then back to Nevada where we could kick off our driving shoes and sleep for two days to recover.

We learned a lot about Covid 19 on the trip, some states have no restrictions at all and many states are totally locked down and have 14 day mandatory quarantines in each state for folks from Nevada, since we have a higher than 10% positive test rate.

But, we also found out there are so many people traveling, that it was almost impossible to find rooms and campgrounds ANYWHERE. Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas were SOLD OUT. The two motel rooms available in Jackson Hole, Wyoming were $500 and $800 each for one night stay, the only two rooms in town. Campgrounds in Yellowstone were even worse, NONE! A friendly NPS Park Ranger let us stay in the NPS Campsite for the night.

One thing I should have realized... NEVER, EVER attempted an 8,400 mile road trip, traveling often at 80 mph on Interstates with M Rated tires... My Kevlar tires CUPPED which made for a bumpy ride from North Carolina to Maryland, but after a tire rotation and alignment, they felt much better on the 3,400 mile trip back to Nevada.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=....1223078310668

http://dizeman.com/kong/4humcoronor.jpg

My tires... Great for around town and the Boonies, but... Cross country, not so much.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:13 PM

Nice!

Old 12-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Default Air Ride Button

New O8 H2 w/ air ride. How do I function the button to raise or lower the air suspension? Is it all or nothing. When I depress do I turn off after raising / lowering. Dealership where purchased has no idea? I dont wont to break something. Thanks

Old 12-02-2021, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tee1up4me2
Ok, here's what I got. I had a tire that was almost flat so I got the air hose out and tried to use it, when I pushed the button in on the right rear compartment of the hummer nothing happened so I changed the tire when I got in to drive off the "SERVICE AIR SUPENSION" came on.
Sense then I have noticed that when I turn the key on the compressor will pump 3 or 4 time and then stop no big deal but the button on the dash and the one in the rear compartment for tires and what not have stopped working the Hummer seems to be lower than it should be and I don't here it adjusting like it use too it's not all the way down and the ride seems to OK. I haven't found any leaks in the bags or the air lines. Just another H2 mystery. Is there a relay that is controled by these 2 switches any wiring diagrams. Thanks Russ

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
h2 air ride.pdf (170.9 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by OCFDfyrfytr
New O8 H2 w/ air ride. How do I function the button to raise or lower the air suspension? Is it all or nothing. When I depress do I turn off after raising / lowering. Dealership where purchased has no idea? I dont wont to break something. Thanks
If you have you manual to hand it is explained in there, anyway here it is ('05 copy) :-

Selectable Extended Rear Ride Height
If your vehicle has this feature it comes as part of the electronically controlled air suspension system.

The selectable rear ride height allows you to raise the rear of the vehicle about 2 inches (5 cm) over the normal ride height. This can be helpful when driving off-road where you may need more ground clearance to clear an obstacle.

The button that controls this feature is located on the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel.

To use this feature, ensure that the following conditions
are met:
• The engine must be running.
• All doors must be fully closed. The suspension will not raise or lower if a door is open.
• The vehicle speed must be less than 40 mph (64 km/h). The system will not activate otherwise.

Press the height control button to raise the rear of the vehicle.

A light in the button will begin to flash as the rear of the vehicle rises. Once the extended height has been reached (this may take up to a minute), the warning light will stop flashing and will stay lit while the vehicle is at the extended height.

To lower the vehicle to the normal ride height, press the button again. The light in the button will flash as the suspension lowers. When the light in the button stops flashing and goes out, the suspension has reached the normal ride height.

This feature will lower the vehicle to the normal height if vehicle speed exceeds 40 mph (64 km/h).

You may also want to use this feature when ascending,descending or cresting a steep hill as this can help prevent the rear bumper from dragging on the base of the hill or prevent the vehicle from grounding out (high centering) on the crest of the hill.

Do not use this feature when towing a trailer.

Hope this helps