PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer Gremlins Argh! A/C Fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Default Hummer Gremlins Argh! A/C Fan

What the hell is with these trucks an the damn gremlins. This afternoon I jump into the rig to go home. After about 15-20 minutes I noticed the A/C heater fan was blowing at top speed, even though the digital read out showed the fan speed set at 2 bars. So I fiddled with it and it wouldnt go up or down in speed, and if the gate changed from face to legs to winshield, that did nothing to change the speed either. I even shut the a/c control off and the fan still still would blow. So i get to my final destination, turn off the truck and the blower is still blowing. WTF!!
I had to pull the fuse just to get it to stop. Seems like thats all I do is pull fuses on this truck t make things that work badly stop working.
So now the blower fan isnt running but do you guys have ANY ideas what is going on?

Just to let you know, no it wasnt soaked or rained in or anything lately. Been working all week and it has been fine, then today after work....
Thanks

Last edited by jsbihn; 01-29-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 PM

your blower motor resistor went bad ..... when mine went out the first time i had to pull the fuse too and it was not raining that day at all but instead of replacing the resistor a few days later i tried to put the fuse back in and i made it worse cuase i took out the motor too and had smoke coming out of the vents lol ... in some cases the h2 has water leaking on top of the blower motor from somewhere and that water ends up on the motor and i think thats what our problem is but i cant figure how the hell water gets in . so its been a few months since im driving around with no ac or heat cause i dont want to order new parts till i have time to track the leak .
Also the last time i got my hands inside the hole where the blower seats in, i felt something like a ruber hose the runs by the top of where the motor seats and i think that may be the sunroof drain hose , if thats the case it may be a hole in the hose that leaks water and ends up on the bottom of the blower ..

Last edited by hmer; 01-30-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM

Thanks Hmer!!

can you possibly direct me towards finding the blower resistor's location.
Thanks

Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM

get under the passenger side glovebox and your are goin to remove a black cover thats held by 2 screws after that you will expose both the resistor and blower motor itself . the resistor is held by 2 screws also and there is a wire plug in to the blower that you need to remove too . look at the pictures i posted here ....

this is the resistor

Ill post more pictures when i get home ..
And here is the cover you need to remove first .
this cover has 2 screws holding it in place ..

Last edited by hmer; 01-31-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 AM

The device is a variable voltage SCR mounted on a heat sink. The SCR will short and cause the fan to run at full voltage. Any auto parts house should carry it. My H2 was a 2003 model. Had to constantly work on the vent actuator motors. One was located just under the top side of the left side of the dash. Just about a complete removal of the whole dash to get to it. The Heat and Air Conditioning gremlins was the main reason I sold it and went back to a H3.