PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership can't figure out which way is up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Unhappy Dealership can't figure out which way is up!

Help!

I bought an 08 Hummer H2 about 2 months ago. In those 2 months, I've had the Hummer in my possession a total of 6 days -- the Hummer has been in the shop (a Sewell Cadillac/GM dealership) the remaining days.

Problems: The Hummer stalls when cold, it is hard to start (engine cranks but takes 5-10 seconds to fire), and Stabilitrak light randomly comes on and then goes away. The dealership can't figure out what is wrong with it and is playing the guessing game with my Hummer (and my pocket book). SO FAR, the dealership has ... changed the oil, changed the air filter, done a throttle body service, replaced the evap valve, put in a new battery and cleaned the injectors. They also asked me to fill it up with Shell premium gasoline, which I did. The dealership thought they had finally fixed it yesterday, but it stalled on me in the bay before I even got it out the dealership. Needless to say, I am back in a loaner car and the ONE tech they have that works on Hummers is scratching his head.

Any suggestions? I don't want to play the guessing game and go down the list of possible things that could be causing the problems and replace all of those items. I would like someone that is familiar with the problem to tell me what he/she thinks the problem stems from.

I am beyond frustrated. I just spend $50k on a very pretty paperweight. I bought the Hummer because I was coming out of a high-maintenance Porsche Carrera and I was TOLD a Hummer would be much cheaper to maintain. Jokes on me! Help!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Unhappy

almost forgot....they also put a new fuel pump in. After each change to the car, the dealership tells me it's ready to go and running well. Within a couple hours after picking up the Hummer, I'm back at the dealership with the same recurring problem.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm not too familiar with H2 but I am good at fixing things and from that I can tell you that the guy working on your rig is no mechanic at all. He is using what we in the repair business call the shotgun approach. He has no idea what is causing the problem and is just changing out parts hoping he gets lucky. I wish I could tell you what the problem is but I don't know either. What I can advise you to do is get it out of that shop as quickly as possible before they get you for even more money. This wouldn't happen to be Sewell of Plano would it because they usually have and excellent record of quality repairs. They used to be a hummer dealership and still carry tons of them. Each shop varies greatly. The name on the outside usually has little to do with the quality of the repair its all about which mechanic you get and it sounds like you rolled snake eyes this round. Classic in Grapevine has a pretty good service department. Ask for James Pickle or Diane B. and hopefully they will be able to get you fixed up with a quality mechanic. Also have you made sure that your truck is out of warranty. Some of the things "fixed" should be covered. do you have any check engine light or have they told you if its throwing a code? if so that would be helpful information for anyone knowledgeable on this forum.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM

when/ if you get it maybe the factory tune for the engine is bad or wrong. try reloading the factory setup for the engine tune.mike

Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Default stabilitrak

Check to see if the pads are wearing unevenly on the front and also check the rears for uneven wear. I have heard this can cause the problem.

Something to check anyway.

Bill

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

It's Sewell in Grapevine. Sewell in Plano can no longer work on the Hummers. The Hummer tech (Bryan) was moved to Sewell in Grapevine. Update: Sewell is flying in a Hummer tech from the GM plant this coming Tuesday to 'properly' diagnose the vehicle. Sewell assures me they won't charge me for any further work done, becase they are beginning to agree with me that the previous work they did (and charged me for) was not the solution to the problem. If this doesn't work, I'll take it down the street to Classic Chevrolet.

So far, the only thing covered by the powertrain warranty has been the new fuel pump. I've paid for everything else out of pocket. I'm pretty close to suing the dealer that sold me this car. I've got solid evidence that they were aware of this problem at the time they sold me the vehicle but did not disclose it to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Look if your cool water is gone.if you may have a defect topp gasket. when the car has been stationary during the night so it can get into water in the cylinders, which makes the car becomes difficult to start .. Otherwise you can have a coil that sits above each spark plug is bad.

sorry my bad inglish.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM
JJJ

That could be anything from something very minor as a bad spark or the timing or emissions, to something much worse like a blown head gasket. I agree with xllkoyokollx, you need to find a more knowledgeable mechanic and one who is going to work with you if the repair is not fixed. Even a great mechanic might not know the exact problem when you bring it in, but will have it narrowed down to a few things. From the list of repairs performed already, they are all over the place and seems they don't have a clue to whats wrong.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Isnt your 08 under warranty?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I'd have Sewell swap out trucks...

Quick Reply: Dealership can't figure out which way is up!