Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Tell us!

Help!!! looking for sunvisor part

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 12:15 PM

I had 2 different prototype parts made at a local printing shop of the white sun visor 3 tab retainer and they both instantly failed. He made them our of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (I think that's what he said) and it's way too brittle. I have one good one and I'm going to spend $250 for a new GM visor. I have the ring retainers from Bill and and they look nice. There is a need for the white 3 tab retainers

Old 10-12-2023, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 812sf
I had 2 different prototype parts made at a local printing shop of the white sun visor 3 tab retainer and they both instantly failed. He made them our of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (I think that's what he said) and it's way too brittle. I have one good one and I'm going to spend $250 for a new GM visor. I have the ring retainers from Bill and and they look nice. There is a need for the white 3 tab retainers

Nice!! You've already done a lot of the hard work by scanning in the dimensions. Now, we just need to keep trying different plastics.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:30 PM

I feel that part really needs to be injection molded in nylon probably. Those tabs are my concern as well. I offered to give it a try, but now seeing it assembled, that part takes most of the stress of the visor.

Do you have an STL file from your attempt? Other than material issues, do feel like it’s dimensionally correct? There is a bidding platform integrated city Fusion360 that may offer injection molding services.

Bill

Old 01-09-2024, 01:53 PM

This whole concept didn't work. The guy I was working with re-modeled it and was going to print it out of Titanium. I stopped communicating as I think he either got busy or it didn't work. I have come to really hate H2 visors. I have them all back together with all the OEM hardware except for the 3D printed retaining ring and I think I'm going to need a screw as well.

Old 01-09-2024, 02:42 PM

I would love to have that section of the H2 cut from a wreck to work out a complete replacement retrofit assembly. It is such an awful design (maybe it was inexpensive and made assembly at the plant easy). Eliminate all that plastic and machine something out of aluminum with brass inserts possibly. I know it would be expensive, be it would be a permanent fix and maybe even enable the use of a more available visor as well. Anyone have one and a torch handy let me know.