PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

xenon headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Default xenon headlights

I purchased a JDM xenon light kit. Now I am finding out that I will lose the high beam.
does anyone know anything about this?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Default RE: xenon headlights

yes you will lose your high beam lights unless you get a hid kit that has a low beam hid bulb and a high beam halogen bulb....don't think they make one yet for an H13 like we need, they do make them for 9004's and H1's. Only a matter of time till they come out with one for the H13. Reason bieng is that teh H13 is a dual filament bulb, one for highs and one for lows, HID is only one bulb. You don't really need the high beams with the HID, they are so damn bright I don't miss the highs at all. Just keep your stock beams so you can throw them back in to pass inspection.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Does anyone have pics of where they placed the ballasts for their Hid set-up? Also, if someone had to splice into their harness a pic of that would be great too!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:29 PM

From what I was told splicing into the harness is necassary becasue there is still a patent out on the h13 plug design so aftermarket companies cannot make one to use for the HID bulbs.Don't know if this is BS but thats what the guy I bought mine from told me. I actually didn't splice at all, the kit came with metal pins attached to the wire ends (same type of molex pins that are inside the stock plug) I just pushed the pins into the female end of the stock socket (plug that goes onto stock headlight bulb) and then wrapped and ziptied the wire in place so the push pins couldn't work their way back out. I then taped it all up to waterproof it. This way I can go back to stock bulb very easily if needed for service work and there will be zero proof that I ever touched the lighting system

I'll take pics of where I pounted the ballasts and the ignitor when I get a chance.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:39 PM

Thanks importkiller,

Sounds like I've got the same hid set, as mine came with those pins on as well. The manual that came with them was a little sketchy. You also had to modify the bulb base, right? Really appreciate the response and look forward to seeing those pics as there doesn't seem to be too much room in there to mount much.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 PM

yup, had to modify the bulb base to fit in the headlam housing....PAIN IN THE ***!!!!!!!!! Thank god for a dremel tool but even then it took over an hour to do and they still won't turn all the way to lock like the stock bulbs do....but they go far enough that they will never fall out. I'm going to take the pics now....should have them up in 30 minutes or so.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Here are the pics, on the drivers side I used the supplied two sided tape to hold the ignitor to the fuse box lid, on the pass. side I zip tied the iginitor to one of the wires jsut to hold it steady so it couldn't vibrate against the K&N heat shield.

Name:  dr.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  pass.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  46.8 KB

Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 PM

Thanks bro!

This helps alot. Should be good to go! By the way, what are those two boxes that are mounted to the chassis? Are those the ballasts? I don't have an ignitor just the ballasts.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:11 PM

the boxes attached to the truck are the ballasts....if you look close in the top pic you will see a small box on the fuse box in front of the battery, you can even read the word ignitor across it. This is the ignitor, you must have an ignitor built into your ballast.