PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIDEO of my front diff blowing-up!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Default RE: VIDEO of my front diff blowing-up!!!!!

I think the rear locker would've helped, low and slow is the way to go. Did you get it fixed yet?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Camou2

Time for the Hummer Driving Academy. Too aggresive!!Too much tire pressure!! Tryin to climb a steep grade with bolders and troughs without being in low lock and first gear@!! You don't need to abuse the truck to have fun!
Your tires didn't even look like they were deflated at all I think they are right. That engine was revving way too fast and those tires were slipping too much.

You are right though, the diff is crap but then again, like you said, the camera can't catch everything.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 AM

If I was on the other end, meaning if it was somebody else video I probably be saying the the same thing, trust me,it rained for a couple of days prior to us going, the dirt was all soft there was no tractioneven using theBTM technique all it was doing was digging in to the dirteven more, sure at the end I pushed it hard but this still should not happen!!!! NOT THIS SOON at the time the truck was only a year and a half old.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

I gotcha. It is hard to see those conditions in a video. So basically your tires were just slipping right off the rocks and gravel. That sucks.

How much did it cost you to rebuild the diff?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 AM

If your truck is only 1 1/2 years old it should be covered by warranty. Unless you have put a billion miles on it already.

Also that rear locker would have changed everything for you that day. Totall bummer man, but a good learning experience.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I think you were a little aggresive, but certainly not crazy out of control. Vidoe does not give proper depth perception (we all know that) and therefore grade is distorted. When it broke, it was as I had suspected all along. It has to do with bouncing the front suspension off obsticlescausing the front wheels break free (air/or weight shift lightening the load) and then grab hard/tight in several cycles. The bouncing flexes the axle shaft exits from the aluminum carrier? Which I humbly thinkis just enoughcause the ring gear to fail to perfectly align with the pinion and crunch?The other possibility is that the OEM gears are crap. [:@]

Lo lock may (emphasize may) have been the better choice and slower.

I think you should contact your Hummer dealer and Hummer USA and see if they would be interested in your video. I would be extremely interested if I were a driveline engineer and could see the vid. It would help in assesing whether a cast iron front diff would have made any difference.

I have a question: You and a friend rebuilt the front diff. I assume this means you replaced the gears and bearings etc....did you notice any damage, hairline cracks, anythingat all to the aluminum differentialcarrier, specifically where the axle shafts pass through?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Well, thanks for sharing the video. Now I've got a little nightmare to put in the back of my mind whenever I go offroading.[:'(]

Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

I think you were a little aggresive, but certainly not crazy out of control. Vidoe does not give proper depth perception (we all know that) and therefore grade is distorted. When it broke, it was as I had suspected all along. It has to do with bouncing the front suspension off obsticlescausing the front wheels break free (air/or weight shift lightening the load) and then grab hard/tight in several cycles. The bouncing flexes the axle shaft exits from the aluminum carrier? Which I humbly thinkis just enoughcause the ring gear to fail to perfectly align with the pinion and crunch?The other possibility is that the OEM gears are crap. [:@]

Lo lock may (emphasize may) have been the better choice and slower.

I think you should contact your Hummer dealer and Hummer USA and see if they would be interested in your video. I would be extremely interested if I were a driveline engineer and could see the vid. It would help in assesing whether a cast iron front diff would have made any difference.

I have a question: You and a friend rebuilt the front diff. I assume this means you replaced the gears and bearings etc....did you notice any damage, hairline cracks, anythingat all to the aluminum differentialcarrier, specifically where the axle shafts pass through?
The carrier was fine, there were a few aluminum shavings from the ring hitting the carrier but besides that all was good. I will follow up tonight with so more info: and picture showing some of the stuff we did to it.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 AM

azz7772 posted this video a few months back, this is the same trail only we did it backwards, the very first footage you see is me going down the same hill I blew my diff, it gives you a much better perspective of the incline of the hill, also you will see our usual off roading habits!Slow as a turtle....lol[/align]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1PV8QCyIBE

Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Wow looks like my kind of fun. Where at in Canada do you guys wheel?

Quick Reply: VIDEO of my front diff blowing-up!!!!!