PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

USB in H3

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM

well i ended up buying an ipod over the weekend and bought a little fm transmitter that is wireless and runs off of the battery of the ipod to run the signal to the radio. haven't gotten a chance to try it out just yet as i just not got music on the ipod.

hopefully no static.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 AM

08 Black H3 - if it works well please post the brand. I have had 2 different transmitters and neither worked out all that well. They work well in the wifes Honda but not the H3. Anyway I'd be in the market for one that works well with our rides.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned
Default elcheepo werkz great

i got one a wallyworld that has a usb port and a 3.5 mm hole for any audio. usb is thumb drive only.
works,sounds great,,smashing on my monsoooon

Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 PM
III

David_d23 please keep us posted. I will be curious to see how to see how your install goes. I just ordered the same thing for my '06 H3 w/Monsoon.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
08 Black H3 - if it works well please post the brand. I have had 2 different transmitters and neither worked out all that well. They work well in the wifes Honda but not the H3. Anyway I'd be in the market for one that works well with our rides.

It is a Griffin iTrip. Not overly impressed so far. There is some static. IMO not worth the $51 price tag. I am not giving up on it just yet though. I am going to do a little more riding with it and see if I can find a station that works well with it. I am also not totally sold that the quality of the music on my iPod is great either. I am correcting that tomorrow hopefully.

I will keep you posted. Hopefully Best Buy will let me take it back.....

Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by III
David_d23 please keep us posted. I will be curious to see how to see how your install goes. I just ordered the same thing for my '06 H3 w/Monsoon.
Install was really easy. I had planned on making a new post out of it with pics and everything....but ran into a little trouble with the operation of the unit. The one thing I can say at this point about the install is make sure you have your radio set to FM before shutting down to disasemble, install with the car off and doors open (it does make a difference as the radio can still turn on if your doors are closed after you take out the key), and plug the 12 pin connector into the unit LAST. Then wait a few minutes. Then turn on radio. Also, as an installation suggestion, pick up some zip ties and double sided foam tape. The zip ties are for making the wires nice and neat and the tape is to stick the unit to the inside of the radio cavity on the drivers side. There is a nice flat wall on that side making perma installs easy.

As far as the quirkiness of the unit, the text for the title and artist of the song most of the time is wrong. For example, I am playing song 1 by artist 2, then I change the song but the title on the screen still displays the previous song, but the new artist, then I change again and the song changes but the artist name stays the same. Also, when the music is playing and I get a phone call, the music stops playing through the speakers and starts playing through the phone. I pick up the call and I can still hear the music on the phone through the call but the opposite end just hears me. Same goes for me making a call out. Also, playlist usage is a little funky. For example, I have 4 play lists. The way it lists them, it shows 3 playlists twice and the last one once when scrolling through them. I tried these operations with 2 different phones, my Iphone 4 and my son's Iphone 3G. Same issue.

All that said, on a positive note, they have great tech support. I called them a few times and they were very patient, walked me through resetting and reinstalling the unit (still worked the same tho). They are open late (8PM EST) and the tech returned my call even after they had closed to check the status of what he had me test.

So, I am going to get a replacement unit as they assured me the unit should work. As and FYI, I have an 07 H3 with Nav and Monsoon.

In the end, even if I still have the test display problems and call problems, I will still keep the unit. It does charge the phone, it plays music clearly, and has an aux headphone input for plugging in other phones/music devices. It also handles disconnects/reconnects well as it picks up right where it left off playing. My tip to anyone using this would be to start playing the song/playlist on your iphone/ipod prior to connecting it and then plug it in. It will continue on your selection. Picking it on the radio is a little harder since the selection interface is naturally slower than picking it on your device.

I will still make a post with the pictures and such once I get the replacement unit so I can provide everyone with the final details regarding operation.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
I dont get it

Oh you sure heard right my friend! Vote me and I'll bring the HUMMER lineup back fresher than ever! Factory 35's, no torsion bar options, factory snorkels, and better factory water proofing are what I'm pushing!
You've got the Senate and House backing you in Florida my friend!!!!!

85 in 11'

Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Oh fantastic! I've got one state down, a handful more to go! Lets get this ball rolling fellas!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by david_d23
Install was really easy. I had planned on making a new post out of it with pics and everything....but ran into a little trouble with the operation of the unit. The one thing I can say at this point about the install is make sure you have your radio set to FM before shutting down to disasemble, install with the car off and doors open (it does make a difference as the radio can still turn on if your doors are closed after you take out the key), and plug the 12 pin connector into the unit LAST. Then wait a few minutes. Then turn on radio. Also, as an installation suggestion, pick up some zip ties and double sided foam tape. The zip ties are for making the wires nice and neat and the tape is to stick the unit to the inside of the radio cavity on the drivers side. There is a nice flat wall on that side making perma installs easy.

As far as the quirkiness of the unit, the text for the title and artist of the song most of the time is wrong. For example, I am playing song 1 by artist 2, then I change the song but the title on the screen still displays the previous song, but the new artist, then I change again and the song changes but the artist name stays the same. Also, when the music is playing and I get a phone call, the music stops playing through the speakers and starts playing through the phone. I pick up the call and I can still hear the music on the phone through the call but the opposite end just hears me. Same goes for me making a call out. Also, playlist usage is a little funky. For example, I have 4 play lists. The way it lists them, it shows 3 playlists twice and the last one once when scrolling through them. I tried these operations with 2 different phones, my Iphone 4 and my son's Iphone 3G. Same issue.

All that said, on a positive note, they have great tech support. I called them a few times and they were very patient, walked me through resetting and reinstalling the unit (still worked the same tho). They are open late (8PM EST) and the tech returned my call even after they had closed to check the status of what he had me test.

So, I am going to get a replacement unit as they assured me the unit should work. As and FYI, I have an 07 H3 with Nav and Monsoon.

In the end, even if I still have the test display problems and call problems, I will still keep the unit. It does charge the phone, it plays music clearly, and has an aux headphone input for plugging in other phones/music devices. It also handles disconnects/reconnects well as it picks up right where it left off playing. My tip to anyone using this would be to start playing the song/playlist on your iphone/ipod prior to connecting it and then plug it in. It will continue on your selection. Picking it on the radio is a little harder since the selection interface is naturally slower than picking it on your device.

I will still make a post with the pictures and such once I get the replacement unit so I can provide everyone with the final details regarding operation.
I have the same model, and I have the same issues. Plus, after a month or so, the radio randomly started shutting off while driving (still power, just go to clock and stay there). It would work fine once I restarted the truck. And mine works with iPhone 3G, 3Gs, but not iPhone 4 or anything after late 2nd Gen iPod. Kind of a deal killer since my wife upgraded to the iPhone 4 and now can't charge her phone in the car (her phone and the iPod get a 'not a recognized accessory' error).

This replaced a defective Peripheral after about 4 years, that worked great, worked fine with all iPhones/iPods, and didn't have any of the nitpicky issues the iSimple seems to have. Both were around $200, and I'm about to take the iSimple back because it's a pain to use (for my purposes).

Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Holy**** you've been a member 2 years and this was your FIRST post???
lol I just noticed I was at post 2 and joined almost 3 years ago...how crazy is that in the same thread? go figure