PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Towing with my H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Default Towing with my H3

Do any of you guys pull trailers or boats with your h3? Im looking to get a 15ft or so pontoon boat . Not a long trip to the lake maybe 50 miles.. will the h3 do the job. not sure of the wait . but i have a friend with a good size ski boat he said it does a good job.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM

I pulled a loaded U-Haul trailer from Central CA to Southern TX with my I5 with no problems at all. Even that long uphill grade into Albuquerque was a breeze. I even still got 15.5 mpg with the trailer.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Should be no problem at all. I pulled my friends 18' Boston Whaler and I have the 3.7L I-5. I do a heck of a lot of towing. Pulled other cars on a dual-axle car hauler, both my bikes with a dual axle-utility, and the U-Haul 6x12 like Songman was talking about above from Philly to Brooklyn. (His trek was a lot longer than mine though). H3 pulled all of it with abs. no problems. Out of all of that, the Whaler had to be the easiest and lightest loads.
Just make sure your trailer has the correct weight ratio esp. if you have the outboard attached to the back. The bow is going to weigh nothing so most all of the weight will be in the stern. If it's incorrectly weighted the outboard will create too much weight in the rear and want to act like a see-saw with only one person on it.. the trailer will want to try to pop itself off the hitchball.
Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by JCA1981; 06-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 PM

You'll probably need a drop hitch too. I used a 3" drop but probably would have been better off with a 4".

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM

I have pulled a 19' I/O boat a number of times with no problems. Have used steep ramps as well, no problems. I have a 2" drop hitch

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JCA1981
Should be no problem at all. I pulled my friends 18' Boston Whaler and I have the 3.7L I-5. I do a heck of a lot of towing. Pulled other cars on a dual-axle car hauler, both my bikes with a dual axle-utility, and the U-Haul 6x12 like Songman was talking about above from Philly to Brooklyn. (His trek was a lot longer than mine though). H3 pulled all of it with abs. no problems. Out of all of that, the Whaler had to be the easiest and lightest loads.
Just make sure your trailer has the correct weight ratio esp. if you have the outboard attached to the back. The bow is going to weigh nothing so most all of the weight will be in the stern. If it's incorrectly weighted the outboard will create too much weight in the rear and want to act like a see-saw with only one person on it.. the trailer will want to try to pop itself off the hitchball.
Let us know how you make out.
did your H3 come with towing package and already have a hitch? I may move soon, but not sure if I can tow my wifes dodge caliber with my h3....mine doesn't have a hitch or anything.....trailer it or dolley wheels?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Default no towing package installed

Sounds good guys sounds like it will do what i want.
thanks for the help
some one posted after market or oem will take there advice..

Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Mine is the factory towing package.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 AM

I've got the factory towing package and tow a 21' pontoon boat almost every weekend, it does fine, but wouldn't want to tow up a mountain. 07 I5 w/adventure package

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM

Rock on ! no mountains out here in central kansas..

Quick Reply: Towing with my H3