PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torn between BFG tires which to get....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Default torn between BFG tires which to get....

mid march I'm planning on doing the T lift and then either get the BFG KM2s or Mud-Terrains or just the All-terrains, but not going to be doing trailing a lot but every so often.... I'm also going to be going up a size im running the stock 265/75/16 but after the T lift i want to get alil bigger tires so im more then likely going to op for the 285/75/16. my first choice are the KM2, only problem is r they very road noisy at all? and whats the life expectancy on them?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

I recently did exactly what you are about to do, and went with the all terrains 285/75/16. This will be my 3rd set of BFG all terrains and was able to get about 60,000 miles each out of the first 2 sets (on a 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado), no complaints at all with these tires.

While I do like the more aggressive MT look I don't do enough wheeling to justify...and the AT's still have a good look. I would suppose you would get better MPG with the AT as well...although with the t-lift and bigger tires I am only getting about 13.5 mpg in the city (have complained about it enough, now I am at peace with it).

Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM

The MT's will always be noisier than the AT's and give you fewer miles. That is because they are softer and have more aggressive tread - both good things for mud handling but not as ideal on road. The BFG KO tires will be quieter but still noisier than some more street oriented tires. My experience with the KO's was that they got great mileage and handled well offroad but I never got into really deep mud or rock crawling.

And since the 285/75/16 goes on the stock Adventure H3 I'm not sure you need any lift at all for them.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM

go big or go home... get the 35's

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM

I'm pretty sure ill end up getting the All-Terrains, sure do like the look of the KM2's tho.... we'll just see what happens to be on my H3 when i leave the tire place haha

one more quick question tho, what's the difference of a All-Terrain T/A, and a All-Terrain T/A KO?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM

If you're not totally hardcore about the BFG's and you want an A/T, but like the looks of the M/T, check out the Goodyear DuraTracs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ngler+DuraTrac

Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm not running BFGs on my H3, but I've had both BFG ATs and BFG MTs on Jeeps I've owned. Like you, I drive mostly on the road, with the occasional wheeling or out-of-the-way camping. Based on the many comments here and tirerack reviews, my next set of tires will be DuraTracs. Between BFG ATs and MTs, it would be ATs hands down. MTs are loud, wear quickly, and are horrible on packed snow (ie - snowy UT roads).

Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Well im going to end up getting the BFG All-Terrains after all, the goodyears are nice and thank you for the suggestion H3DONIST

but now after looking at other H3s with torsion lifts and having 315/75/16s is making me wonder size... haha
i know, i'm annoying haha just wanna make the right choice and get the right ones i want so i don't regret not going bigger or staying at 285/75/16s before i go spend a crap ton of money on tires....

just wondering if it'll mess up anything if i go that big? like transmission and just whatever else it could mess up or if it'll be ok.....

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Most of the handling problems caused by heavy, big tires can be fixed with stiffer shocks. It all depends on how smooth the highways are in your area.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Default BFG Info

I have owned several vehicles in which I added BFG All Terrains, they are certainly a good all around choice (go for the KO with E rating versions if possible in your size - less MPG loss, higher tire pressures and longer wear in my experience). An M/T KM2 would be better in deep snow and serious mud of course, just depends what you want to use them for. Also stay with the 75 in either tire whether it is a 285 or a 315, the H3's pull significantly with the stock 285/75/16's, more width only makes this worse on loose dirt or sand at speed. (all just my experience and opinions)

Quick Reply: torn between BFG tires which to get....