PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tire SENSOR----WHAT is the DEAL????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Default RE: Tire SENSOR----WHAT is the DEAL????

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Now you're getting the picture..This is what Mark and I have been trying to say..Got to keep the originals with the car for some reason..And just so everyone understands..the sensor is located in the tire Valve Stem.
damn it!

so what do we do when we aren't going to be taking the tires off of the original factory rims? Am I understanding you correctly when you say that I NEED to have a tire pressure sensor with my new wheels?

If so, where do I buy 4, and how much? [:@]

Old 08-23-2006, 01:10 AM

Right..You can take the old ones off the old wheels and put them on your new wheels (also always include the spare)..the TPM system looks for the 5 transducers in each of the wheels valve stems (whole unit) and remembers where they were located plus monitoring pressure..So a new set (I would assume purchased from the dealer) will need to be calibrated from scratch...Tire valve stem and pressure sensor is one unit.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:17 AM

sometimes they have them on ebay cheap.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 AM

son of a bitch.... SOoooo I would imagine this to be a dumb question, because I'm pretty sure that I already know the sad answer to it: I will be placing new tires on a new set of factory rims (keeping all of the original equipment tires/rims unchanged). Is there anyway to have the place that I'm having my tires mounted and balanced remove my tire pressure sensor from the factory equipped tires/wheels and put them on the new tires/wheels?

if not, I am supposed to be able to turn off the alarm by a procedure that doesn't work for the original poster (agteacher)? Could I just find the fuse and pull it (if it does it have a fuse)?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: CerberusSVT

s Is there anyway to have the place that I'm having my tires mounted and balanced remove my tire pressure sensor from the factory equipped tires/wheels and put them on the new tires/wheels?

Yes, it is just like changing a normal metal valve stem..Just tell them to use your old stems and why...

Old 08-23-2006, 01:40 AM

ahh, I gotcha... can they do this without taking the tire off of the old rims? I don't know if I made it clear that I have 2 sets of H3 rims that I'm working with. The set that came on the car, and another set that I painted black and am having new tires mounted onto (I will store the original factory set up in my garage)

edit: I have just the base model H3, with auto transmission and no other factory options other than nerf bars, does this still apply to me?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 AM

The message will appear on your display at every ignition cycle, just push the stem in next to the message window to clear the message and it will not turn on again until the next time you start the truck. I am not putting them in my new rims, not too big of a deal to me, I can live with one push of the stem every time I start it. There also is not an audible tone alert, just a message on the display.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

The message will appear on your display at every ignition cycle, just push the stem in next to the message window to clear the message and it will not turn on again until the next time you start the truck. I am not putting them in my new rims, not too big of a deal to me, I can live with one push of the stem every time I start it. There also is not an audible tone alert, just a message on the display.
Thanks Mike! I can deal with that no problem

Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

In the manual, it says that there are marks on the hubs/rotors that you have to line up for the tire pressure sensor's to work properly. I remember reading this a few times. It's somewhere in the manual. If you dont have the correct bolt(s) aligned in the correct holes in the rims, it won't work. There is some kind of marker indicator on the wheels and hubs that you need to line up properly to get a reading. It says right in the manual that if you don't, you will get error messages and it won't work. I don't have the manual with me but I know it's in there

Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 PM

but also you need the sensors the chrome rims just come with rubber valve stems.

Quick Reply: Tire SENSOR----WHAT is the DEAL????