PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil verse regular oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 AM

I run Pennzoil Ultra Full Synth with Hyper Cleansing and a Fram ToughGuard filter. Run 87 grade gas and every 4 tanks I will run a can of Seafoam through the fuel system. Haven't had any performance problems so hopefully my engine is running as clean as it should be.

I've thought about running Royal Purple but I am curious to what everyone else's thoughts are on the best oil to use.

As for only needing to change when the oil life system says to I'll keep check on the oil level and color like Doc said.

Hopefully no decoder ring will be needed to read my post lol.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned
Default hey,2 each his own!

so i waste a few bucks

curious,,the computer dont know if u use the best synth,,or the cheapest crappy juice,,or peanut oil!

it just assumes u use gm approved juice

of this i have no doubt; given identical engines, the 1 with most changes will win

unlike the guy with most toys,,(figger that)

Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Oil companies LOVE y'all!!!
3000 mile intervals are complete over kill except for the MOST EXTREME conditions.

If you will evaluate your oil during routine check ups (like when you check tire pressure and coolant levels) you can watch the oil degrade over time. The oil has a predictable life span dependant on your particular driving habits. Pay attention to the oil and quit buying into the oil companies' marketing hype.

Likewise, educate yourselves on wasting money with high octane fuels.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned
Default im watchin

you can watch the oil degrade over time.
but 1000 mile oil looks about like 5000mi

im running a 95 pont mini work van till it dies

it leaks a ltl , i add some and give it a treat abt once a yr. oil comes out dirty but some color.

my new h3 got changed first time, at 1200, oil came out dirty with some color

i suppose a computerized oil diagnosis machine could tell the diff,but not me

ive been at it for over a half century, and after a couple hundred miles it all looks dirty. how dirty??who knows!

people are paying hundreds for gas gadgets and other junk that never pay off so my wasted oil money is a bargain!

btw the first change was plain oil. at 3000 ill start the synt treatment, for the duration, each 3 to 4000 mi. ill report back at 100,000 and see how its doing!! at those intervals ill spend maybe an xtra 100,,ez money

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Never had any problem since day one that I used 5w30 Mobil 1 Full Synth oil. I'm on 70000 klm now ...one easy click in the morning and engine sounds fantastic that you can step on the gas pedal right away but of course never did I do that, always wait for a couple of minutes before I zooom!

Never any problem...Thanks SYNTHS!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM

Didn't notice any of the earlier posts so I'll chime in here on oils

Had the Chevy dealer I bought the H3 from do the first oil change a week ago. Bought the 07 H3 with just under 25,000 miles on it.

Here's my big question for everyone --------------------------

Dealer said that the oil they use for all oil changes is a combination of synthetic and mineral oils for all oil changes they do.

If I believe this to be true (no reason for the dealer to lie to me at this point because it was a free oil change), is every dealer providing this same "Blending" of oils for Hummers ?

Is this a common practice ?
Is the dealer giving me the big "BS' line for some reason

p.s. ---- Because of the blended oil, they said 5,000 to 7,000 miles between changes

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 PM

the dealer here said the same thing to me

Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 PM

I've been using a synthetic blend for years.
One of my vehicles is a 96 with 266,XXX miles.
Oil change every 15,000 miles.
I know that seems like a long interval, but the oil is still in good shape at the end of the 15k. I just worry about the filter so I change it all anyway.
Still runs strong and I beat on it a little too.
I was originally changing the oil at 7500 miles and then at 10k but the oil still looked and smelled somewhat fresh. I didn't see a point in wasting time and money replacing perfectly good oil that still had plenty of lubricating life left in it.