PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof leaded now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Default sunroof leaked now wont start

I guess the title says it all. I got the drains cleared and hopefully it gets hot tomorrow and doesnt rain all day and dries out my cabin. As it stands my truck turns over but doesnt start. THere was a pretty big wet spot in the drivers side floorboard underneath the E-brake.I shop vacked and toweled everything dry. All my fuses were good so hopefully just letting it sit and dry out will fix the short.

It looks like rain is my H-3's nemesis. the last time it died on me it was raining hard.

Last edited by vinny; 05-30-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Good thing I decided not to install an expensive sunroof on my 2008 H3 which I'm almost tempted on having it a couple months ago.

Now I can't be happier after hearing some leaking problems.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Went out around noon the next day and my truck started fine after the moisture dried up.

i got the water all cleaned up and i took a can of compressed air and cleared out my sunroof draines. I wiped down all the contact surfaces of the sunroof and metal roof to hopefully stop the leak. i guess i wont know if it worked until it rains again.

When i bought my H3 it was the only one the dealer had in this color and it happened to have a sunroof. I really didnt care to have one but didnt have a choice. i live in Florida and its too hot most of the time to even have the blind open.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Don't forget to check and make sure that your drain hoses are still connected to the sunroof drain pan after blowing them open. Mine popped off on the passenger side last time I cleared them.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 PM

How do you check that? I brought mine into the dealer today, and they cleared mine and now I hear a gurgling noise coming from the sunroof area around the drains?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Are you guys referring to H3's with factory sunroofs or aftermarket sunroofs?

I can picture in my mind some of the causes of the leaks and gurgles being referred to if it's an aftermarket sunroof but, if it's a factory sunroof some of the symptoms you've mentioned get a little harder to figure.

On an H3 with an aftermarket sunroof the front drain hoses have to be routed a specific way at their top ends in order to keep from being crushed flat when the sun-visors are reinstalled.

I've had this happen myself on a couple of my sunroof install on an H3. I had to go back and replace the two front hoses because I didn't route them far enough away from the area where the sun-visor is screwed into place.

That part of my drain hoses had be inadvertently pinched between the headliner and the roof of the vehicle when I screw the sun-visor into place. It almost completely restricted any water from properly draining.

Once they're crushed you can't Un-crush them; they have to be replaced. You can blow them out and they may temporarily open back up but they will revert back to their crushed state in no time.

It's not quite as bad (but still bad enough) if the front hoses are pinched while driving in the rain because the forward momentum of your vehicle moves any draining water toward the rear drain hoses.

If your H3 is standing still in a hard constant rain and the front hoses are clogged or pinched, any water that drips down onto your sunroof's drip-channel will naturally move toward your front drain hoses. If the front hoses are clogged or pinched the only thing that can happen is that they'll slowing allow the drip-channel to over flow with water.

If you're H3 has a factory sunroof the same thing could be happening but I would probably rule out the "Pinched Hose" senerio.

I've had water leaking in an H3 with a factory sunroof when the customer had recently had his front windshield replaced. In that one incident the windshield had not been completely sealed so water would flow down the side edge of the glass behind the "A" pillar and eventually work its way down to the floor.

Does your headliner have any water spots on it. With the symptoms you've described it should have at least one.

If so, you can use the position of those water spots to help you determine exactly where the water dripped down onto your headliner. Water spots usually form in the spots where the water initially drips down onto your headliner and then again at the lowest point of the water's path as it flows downward.

Upholstryguy