PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started up H3, a plume of smoke from exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

if the chain is loose, he guy who did the head is the problem. go after him.
I cant believe you didn't do that already!!

btw I have NEVER seen smoke. some steam from hot ex in cold air, never blue smoke, not normal.
how would you see a "puff" if you are in the driver seat??

if it was normal, wouldn't all cars do it? why just the h3?

Last edited by happythree; 01-15-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM

I brought it back to Chevy dealer who did work they said loose coil may have caused sputter when starting but they tightened it and no more smoke. I just started it at 11:30 to go to lunch and more blue smoke. the wind blows it around to side of the truck. they also said the head job was on top of motor and timing chain on bottom so they could not get to it. they recommend replacing timing chain and actuators.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

the t chain drives the 2 cams on the head so they are lying thru their teeth.

ask to soo the chain info in the book. its right on the front of the engine inside the big aluminum cover where you add oil. you can almost see the chain when you pull the oil cap!!

lies,lies,lies!!

they handled this and didn't put it back right,

recommend replacing timing chain and actuators.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Funny how this thread was brought up today as a freaking plume of smoke happened again yesterday!

The amount of smoke was amazing and nothing since, but she is going back in to the shop (still under warranty). When this happened last year (when I started this thread), the coming results were terrible.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Default zowie!!

where do you get pix like that?!!

like a work of art.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 AM

It's threads like this that really make me cringe, just thinking how many people actually fall for this stuff and believe the dealerships that are working on their cars and have gotten taken for thousands more dollars than they should have.

I understand, most people do not do the work themselves like some of us do on our H3's and other vehicles. Thus you have to bring it in to have it worked on. which is fine. Not everyone has tools, or the ability or know how to do certain mechanics. so having the work done by someone else is needed.

I would suggest spending some time reading about mechanics. there's plenty of books, and even more info on the internet. familiarize yourself with different procedures, and like with this case, then head needed done. It's a no brainer that you do the timing chain while you have all the stuff off since it's right there. There's a lot of good reading for noob mechanics and info that will help you to know if you are getting taken or not by a mechanics shop.

It is unfortunate but there is so much of this swindling going on and has been since the invention of machinery.

To people who are not mechanical, the workings of an engine and vehicle system seem like Chinese to them, so it is easier just not to bother and have someone else do the work. My dad is a prime example. Has never changed oil once in his life. Could not remove a tire if he had a flat and replace it with a spare. and Only knows where the windshield wiper fluid goes under the hood. I can guarantee that with some reading each night you can become comfortable with basic car workings in no time. and then expand upon that to a greater knowledge. Some people don't care because money is no object so whatever the garage says, then that's what they do. and that's ok for them, but for most of us money is important and doesn't come by easy. I am lucky that I am able to work on and fix just about anything that goes wrong with our hummer. and thank goodness I haven't had to bring it to a shop for any repair yet. although that day may come.

My point being, I think it is such a good idea to start reading up on simple mechanics and workings of a vehicle, and then specific readings on your own vehicle. Most of it is online for you. there's a great wealth of knowledge to gain. and hopefully stop you from getting ripped off anymore. Instead of reading the next novel or biography, read about cars. It's just as interesting, and even if it does not seem like it would be interesting to you, think about your pocket book and how important your vehicle is to you and what gaining some knowledge about it could do for you in the future. I'm not saying learn how to do all of the repairs and such, but Just like in this case here. It shouldn't just be a head job, while you have that head off, there are other things that can be replaced also that are eventually going to need it anyway, and at 78k miles they will all be coming up, so that will save you another trip into the garage and more money.

Just my simple Thoughts. I wish someone would write a simple book geared just for this. I think it would help so many people. We see this a lot on here, adn that's why we call them "stealerships" Yes there are many honest ones out there, but there are also those who like to pull things on you here and there.

One last little story. My sister while living in Indiana last year brought her car to one of those instant oil change places. I had changed her oil the previous time and replaced the air filter and pcv valve, wiper blades and a couple other things. The instant oil change place saw the opportunity to take advantage of a young girl who obviously didn't know a thing about vehicles, and told her she needed to replace her air filter that it was filthy, and a new pcv valve, and that her wiper blades were worn out. I had just replaces all of that 3000 miles before. Luckily my sister is very smart, and immediately called me and put me on the phone with them. I ripped them a new A$# hole for trying to rip her out of another 100 bucks or whatever it was. The manager apologized and gave her a free oil change. I often think how many people are scammed by those places every single day. probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in their pockets replacing things that don't need it. Kind of along the same lines as this thread here too.

Anyway, read up. there's some easier reading to do to teach you about basics and once you have those down you can start moving up.
Sorry about the long post. It just pisses me off to no end how people can get ripped so bad, and I was so thankful when I found this forum because I would have been ripped a couple of times too.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM

hmmm, someday im gonna read that

Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 PM

LOL. Sorry. I just got on a roll. I tend to be long winded and repeat myself over and over.

I guess to summarize I think it's a good idea for people to familiarize themselves with how a vehicle operates mechanically because people are taken advantage of way too much. There. that's better. lol

Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Did you ever get that smoke issue straightened out?

To the folks talking about the timing chain, it adds around 10 additional flat rate hours to the job to get into that.

The special tool (EN-48464 wedge, see step #46 | Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical Components | Cylinder Head | AutoZone.com) eliminates the need to spend the 10 additional hours, but it also precludes you from having access to getting involved with the timing chain at all. You wedge the timing chain adjuster back, pull the top 2 gears and leave the chain hang there while you swap heads. Once the new head is tossed on, you pull the chain up over the gears and put the gears back to the face of the cam, and reach down and release the wedge. You just saved $1000 in labor.

Option B is no wedge, pull the front diff, oil pan, lower timing cover/harmonic bal and get into the chain, adjuster and guides as desired or required. This will be over $1000 additional to the above wedge method as you will need to add the price of the chain, adjuster and gears to your labor. That was why the GM special tool came to be, the initial warranty flat rate pay out was just too high.

Now, you may be doing this yourself at home and just looking at the cost to get the parts. Most are paying a shop around $100 an hour to do the work.

I'm at this crossroad myself, my 06 3.5 with 149K has random heavy smoke at start up. I can get a complete long block for $3800 from GM with a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty and replace my entire engine. That is actually a hell of a lot easier job than messing with this head to me. I can remove and replace an engine in a day for sure, doing this head looks like a lesson I'm not real interested in :-( I could pay the local Chevy dealer $2500 for parts and labor to do the head, but heck.... I'm over half way to a new complete warranted engine. May as well nut-up and go for it, right?

Quick Reply: Started up H3, a plume of smoke from exhaust.