Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Started up H3, a plume of smoke from exhaust. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/started-up-h3-plume-smoke-exhaust-30255/)

H32006 03-04-2013 09:35 AM

Started up H3, a plume of smoke from exhaust.

33K miles. Recently serviced (oil change). Started vehicle. Plume of smoke on start up. Nothing thereafter.

Any ideas what this could be?

2010 Hummer H3 Alpha.

Thanks.

RickStang 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

What color was the smoke? What was the approximate temp?
Rule of thumb, blue smoke is engine/tranny fluid and white fluid is water vapor/coolant
If it was a 1 time thing it could just be normal but if its a reoccurring thing then you could have a possible leak.

H32006 03-04-2013 02:08 PM

Want to say it was white. This is the second time in a month.

Weather Temp? LA, so Saturday it reached 85º and went down to 50º at night.

Was roughly 74º when it took place yesterday. Truck had been sitting for 3.5 hours since its last drive.

Originally Posted by RickStang (Post 294032)
What color was the smoke? What was the approximate temp?
Rule of thumb, blue smoke is engine/tranny fluid and white fluid is water vapor/coolant
If it was a 1 time thing it could just be normal but if its a reoccurring thing then you could have a possible leak.

RickStang 03-04-2013 03:01 PM

I want to say your burning coolant but thats not a proper answer to your question.
You could have a possible small head gasket leak or a crack in your head.
Next time you should get someone to start your car and go smell the exhaust. If it smells sweet then it is coolant.

H32006 03-04-2013 06:04 PM

Rick, thanks.

Still under warranty and hope this is covered.

Problem for me is the local dealerships are terrible and I have to drive 100 miles to get to one that knows what they are doing.

Happy Hummer 03-04-2013 07:56 PM

I'm bett'n moister in gas.

Chris

TAINTER 03-04-2013 11:40 PM

Sounds like condensation in the exhaust being pushed out during the engine starting process to me. A 20 degree difference in temprature can create a lot of condensation, let alone the 35 degree temp change you described.

mvrocky 03-05-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 294058)
Sounds like condensation in the exhaust being pushed out during the engine starting process to me. A 20 degree difference in temprature can create a lot of condensation, let alone the 35 degree temp change you described.

Tainter is right! I live in the Northeast if I leave My H3 sit for a day or two and it's cold out when I start it.It will smoke of 5 to 10 mins sitting in my driveway. But if I drive it the smoke stops

NJTEX 03-05-2013 07:10 AM

I don't know about a "plume" but a slight puff of blue smoke when stepping on the gas the first time after a cold start is normal.

grogers 01-15-2014 10:55 AM

I recently had the head replaced on my 06 H3 with 78k miles. The day I got it back it had been sitting for about 8 hours in below freezing temps before I tried to start it. when I started the engine it poured blue smoke then the check engine light came on. after letting it run a few minutes the smoke cleared. the truck runs good and has only done it a couple of times since I got it back. Chevy dealership that did the work says engine light is from loose timing chain. I am wondering if I should unload it before it cost me more money.