PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some sort of pump next to battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Default some sort of pump next to battery?

So I walk outside last night with some friends and as we walk by my H1 sitting in driveway... The bestway to describe it is I hear a cell phone ringing on vibrate under the hood.

I tell my friends it purrs/snores while its resting and we all laugh but when I got back I opened the hood and found the noise to be coming from a small pump (looks like from a fish aquarium) next to both batteries. I unplugged the power from it.. noise stopped. Hummer still runs.. LOL

What is this pump?

Do I need it?

Is it supposed to runn when vehicle is off?

Its a 94 H1 open top...

Thanks...

Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM

I'm not familiar with H1's a whole lot. Has there been some sort of air ride system installed? Is it the ctis pump? I have no idea where that is located. I had a lincoln continental with the air ride system and it had a slow leak in it and would turn on like that sporadically. I would guess it has a leak somewhere in a hose or connection, but I don't know what it is for. I'm sure someone knows what that pump is for on here, check for leaks so you can find it and repair it.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Default if u unpluged it, it will never run

thats 1/3 diesel pumps, it suppose to stop functioning when the ingnition is off, and it will function when the ignition is on even if the engine turned off... what you unpluged I think is something else not the pump because if you unpluged it the trunk will never start again ... any ways it's not suppose to purr if the ignition is turned off, it might be a mess with wiring under the steering wheel, I have a problem with wiring myself lol

Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Default oops u said next to the Battery!

no its not the diesel pump then... disregard my first reply

Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM

There is NO OEM pump that runs when the truck is turned off. I am not aware of any OEM pump that looks like a "fish aquarium" pump. This is aftermarket. I would follow the vacuum/pressure line to its endpoint. It could be an ARB pump for ARB locking differentials. It could be a vacuum pump to power the HVAC. It could be a pump related to air horns.

What type of engine do you have in that 1994? I think at that time the choices were gas verses 6.2 NA diesel. Neither have OEM electric pumps.

Gil