PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Snorkel

for looks is one thing, but for a bow wave protection maybe a 4 to 6 inch extension will do? I have a 4 in ext (the home depot version from bluehummer), which puts the mushroom-cap is atleast 50 inches high. I hope I never have to ford more than 3 ft, any deeper and you are risking other problems like urine stains on the seats (thank god for the drain plugs). Always change the hub/diff fluids after deep water. Incase you don't do it already, clean out the duck-bill after a dirty trail run. You'd be amazed at how much dirt will be in there.

Many safari vehicles have snorkels because the air is cleaner the higher you go. The fantastic aerodynamics of our trucks might negate this?

rb

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Well
You are right that deeper than 30" should not be good for the vehicle health, but sometimes, where I live I find some deep holes in the midle of your path (of course not 30"), but some of them like the one i post in the picture below. It was last Saturday when I went to the Supermarket, I had to go back home and look for the H1 in order to cross that one. Water was 4" below the air intake, so just a wave could cause problems. May be you are right that with a 4-6 inch extension is enought to solve those situations.
Anyway is fun to cross some water from time to time. There are alternative roads I recognize, but I´m happier using my old roads.

I agree that after the mud bath is important to clean the vehicle, I did so and really get a lot of dirt...

Thanks,

Antonio

[IMG]local://upfiles/4947/D0282ED9E10C4BF394628DE9C2F7CD73.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

as mentioned earlier, going that deep you might want to change the hub/diff fluids or at least check them for water contamination.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM

I will have to side with Hummtech on this one. The snorkle may look good to some, but anything that puts water over the hood would indicate a need to immediately get your **** out of whatever you have gotten into and there is more to it that one point of entry regarding the engine sucking water if it was fully under.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM

I agree with you all that we should never be that deep, nor would I ever want my hummer that deep but the fact of the matter is I live in canada specifically southern ontario, and there isnt much rocks around here so I play in mud and water so a snorkle is not only a must have but it is also peace of mind. You never always know how deep a stream or mud hole is all the way through untill you go into it. Sure you could always go in the same pits and follow the same route on a stream but mud pits can change over night if some boys with 44's + decide to play all night in it. So some might think its unfunctional or not required but I bet you they dont play in mud as much as the ones that find the functionality of it. I'd rather replace hub/diff fluids then a hydra locked engine block. And yes I know about the duck bill but they make a plug for that

Its almost like having runflats. You dont install runflats so you can go out and get a flat you install runflats so if you do get a flat you will have peace of mind knowing you can get to level ground(if wheelin) to change a tire or make it to the next service station.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Antonio,
That picture you posted, you don't need a Hummer, you need an air boat. Down here we call that the everglades and/or a swamp. And in most cases they do not have a bottom so you may need a periscope to go with your snorkel!!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Je, Je

That’s the beauty of this country, forests around, water, rivers, I use the road shown in the picture once a week. Usually some mud, some dust, nothing important. That day I crossed it a big thunderstorm over me, and well, a shame I was alone and could not get a pic crossing it. But when I was in the middle of it I really missed a little snorkel, but was no so much water at all. Just 2" below the air intake and the only vehicle crossing me the other way was a donkey with a fellow over it.

It’s fun around here. As I agree that mud holes have the ability to change magically in one night. And you don’t know how deep you are going to get. It is a great comparison with the runflats, when you have them installed, you have peace of mind, even if you never use them.

Antonio

Old 07-03-2008, 05:25 PM

To see the roads around home...Here I post you a pic of some mud hole I had a problem with. Was nothing compared to what the H1 can do but I did not still have it. I had to get a little bit dirty but was fun anyway.

Antonio

[IMG]local://upfiles/4947/498997065B2B4DA3A2238E557C94A299.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 PM

heh your a brave one for wheelin one of those

Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 PM

what's with the x5? lol

Quick Reply: Snorkel