PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Default Snorkel

diccHi Everybody

I´m thinking about building a 1,5 foot snorkel by myself, using a 4" PVC pipe, and sticking it directly to the intake and to the air filter. I´d like to hear your suggestions about it. Is it correct or better to make an aluminium one. Or may be there is propper scuba tube that I can buy around. Which is better?
All your comments will be very helpul, because the places where I move thought, sometimes have some water in the middle of the way and I don´t want a wave to enter throught the air breather.

Thanks and al the best for you all

Antonio

[IMG]local://upfiles/4947/1292007DD6D7481AA080C8EADBF2B466.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Default RE: Snorkel

I am going to be doing the same thing. There is a tutorial out there I personally forget the link but its pretty straight forward just use a PVC pipe and silicon the ends... Just remember the more silicon you use the more perminant the snorkle will be.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Great to know, I was thinking that for logical reasons has to work, but is better consulting all of you for your experience in those matters.

Thaks a lot, going to buy tomorrow the pipe, silicon, the paint

thanks a lot

Antonio

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 PM

be sure to secure it at the top.... otherwise it will beat up your windsheild / frame...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Id definately go with PVC, its cheap and wont rust or dent like aluminum

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 AM

what is the reason for the large snorkel? looks is one thing but if you think that you will be able to go threw more that 30 inches of water think again. the humvees have what is called a deep fording kit on them that will let them drive into water up to the windshield. if you go deeper that the 30 inches of water your exaust will fill up with water, your vent lines to all your drive trane will be under water and you only have water tight wire connectors at or below that 30 inch mark.
i have changed three engines and a couple of fans and radiators due to the customer trying to deepford their hummers.
be careful,
mike s.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM

I saw a h1 yesterday with a snorkel on it. I think his was alum. I was amazed you dont see many h1's around here it was green with a tan soft top. Looked like he off roaded it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: hummech

what is the reason for the large snorkel? looks is one thing but if you think that you will be able to go threw more that 30 inches of water think again. the humvees have what is called a deep fording kit on them that will let them drive into water up to the windshield. if you go deeper that the 30 inches of water your exaust will fill up with water, your vent lines to all your drive trane will be under water and you only have water tight wire connectors at or below that 30 inch mark.
i have changed three engines and a couple of fans and radiators due to the customer trying to deepford their hummers.
be careful,
mike s.
Bow Waves, Rogue Waves, Up/Down hill water surges... I almost hydra locked my engine from such an incident. Hita water hole too quick the water went up the hill then back down and over my hood. Also the fact of going deeper then 30inches the exhaust will fill sure if you turn the engine off but not if its still running and pushing out pressure, the army only required the deep fording exhaust kit because they wanted to ford 60" then turn the truck off in that water for a minute then turn it back on and resume. If you offroad in water a snorkle is good to have, and yea maybe the electricals etc wont be able to handle the deep water but atleast you know your engine wont suck that up and I'd rather replace some electricals then some electricals and a engine. Now its not like we mean to go deeper then over the hood but sometimes you can drive through a shallow river bed to only end up in a deep old beaver nest or something similar to that. I know I know takes a canuck to talk about beavers :P

Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Yeah bob runs into those damn beaver nest all the time.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Hummech is absolutely right on this.

Another issue is the dust/duckbill on the botton of the air can, this can be a water injestion point as well, no matter how high your snorkel is. Put your hand under the air can near the wheel skid plate and you'll feel it. Water can get in through the dust trap.

The h1's aren't sealed like the humvees.

Quick Reply: Snorkel