PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should we buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 AM

Bunger is right, over all, it is a well built vehicle. People do like to come on here and brag about how good there hummer is and show pictures, which is great, however, a big part of these forms is to get help with problems you are having, so it would appear that the vehicle has lots of problems.

Remember that not just any gm dealership will service it, it has to be a hummer dealership. (at least in Canada it is that way and I assume it is the same in the USA) Ask that question at your dealership and see how close a hummer dealer is to you.

I have an 06 H3 and I have been very happy with it. I have had a few problems but nothing too major. I had my first non warranty problem at 107,000 kms with the plastic shifter fork in the transfer case breaking. I believe they fixed this problem for the 08 and newer so you should not have this problem plus they come with a pretty impressive warranty now.

Realistically, you are buying a 4x4 SUV. Tires are expensive, gas is expensive, service is expensive. Just like most SUV's The hummer is pretty much a colorado with a hummer body on it. The dealer will tell you it is a specialized vehicle and should be service with hummer, which it should! Until the warranty runs out. Then take it to a trusted mechanic that can work on it. Really, it is just a truck. If you buy it, keep your ears open with your friends for a good mechanic they use. When your warranty runs out, and if you need any work done, it will be a lot cheaper than the dealership. If you are paying $43,000 cash for it though, this should probably not be your bigest concern, you should just be concerned about enjoying your new vehicle.

Oh, I cannot comment on price as what we pay here is a lot different but that price even sounds very high to me as well. I would cool the jets a bit, shop around or even but a slightly used. The money you save from the initial depresiation of buying new, would more than pay for even an engine replacement down the road. Sure it is nice to say, it is brand new, I am the first owner but I have bought vehicles with used with 60,000 kms that still have the new smell.

Anyway, good luck and I hope this helped a bit.

dj

Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreDiesel
Whoa! That price is way high......you should have no problem getting 10K off MSRP on an any H3. I just paid $28,750 for a new 09 that had a MSRP of $43K........you might wanna shop around. Oh, and yes mine has the V-8 5.3L engine.
HardcoreDiesel....I would say you got an EXCEPTIONAL deal!! I have an '08 Alpha, that I am leasing. When my lease expires in April of '10, I plan to purchase it, and my GMAC lease buyout price is $28,300. Now you've got me thinking. By the way, I only have 11,000 miles on it.

'08 Birch White Alpha

Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by scared2buy
$45k out the door
2010 Alpha
Fully loaded
4 miles on it when we test drove it

Sigh....
Not really enough information. What is the MSRP? "Fully loaded" would be $49k + dealer options (you mentioned step bars), so around $50k?

Not to disrespect HardcoreDiesel, but I think $10k off MSRP on a 2010 is a bit aggressive (rebates aren't big enough and too few of them around), but about $7-8k is reasonable. That would make a "fully loaded" Alpha about $42k. Add in TT&L and you are right around $45k.

Does that make you feel better about the deal? If not, look around for a leftover 2009 (or used as djezrock says), then you are looking at significantly less money.

And please change your screen name when you decide to pull the trigger and join us happy buyers.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by HumbleAg
Not really enough information. What is the MSRP? "Fully loaded" would be $49k + dealer options (you mentioned step bars), so around $50k?

Not to disrespect HardcoreDiesel, but I think $10k off MSRP on a 2010 is a bit aggressive (rebates aren't big enough and too few of them around), but about $7-8k is reasonable. That would make a "fully loaded" Alpha about $42k. Add in TT&L and you are right around $45k.

Does that make you feel better about the deal? If not, look around for a leftover 2009 (or used as djezrock says), then you are looking at significantly less money.

And please change your screen name when you decide to pull the trigger and join us happy buyers.
Hey, your right I missed the fact they are looking a a 2010!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
HardcoreDiesel....I would say you got an EXCEPTIONAL deal!!

'08 Birch White Alpha

I agree, but my deal was pretty close to that. Bought my 2009 Championship Edition in June, MSRP was $42,500 and I paid $29k (actually $31k but I had $1k in GM card rebates that they doubled).

If you can find a leftover 2009 on the lot, there are some excellent deals to be found.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by scared2buy
The dealership guy is very good with keeping in touch with us. And he is fairly honest. We gave a price and certain things to add like a spare wheel cover and gas tank cover. Chrome side steps although I thought the black would be better.

Any other add ons that are worth it. Not getting upper racks. I read on one site that the plastic pins broke easily. And I do not really them this right now.

Just to continue adding my 2 cents here, I'd go with the chrome side steps since you'll have the chrome grill, mirrors, and door handles. Add the chrome gas door and it'll look sharp. My current H3 has black accents, but my '07 with the chrome looked pretty good.

I'd also advise getting the molded splash guards. Without them (especially with the 33" tires), lots of road grime gets thrown up on the side, makes the door handle a mess when you go to open it. The GM ones are around $90 and pretty easy to install.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM

I really appreciate all the replies and information. Sorry about the user name. Will change it when I become one of you!

The out the door price is 45k

The taxes are 4387.00
The DMV fees 640.00

So the actual cost of the 2010 Alpha is $39,973 before taxes and license.

It is the Berch White and the chrome running boards are included and the gas tank cover and the spare wheel cover.

The MSRP was around 47k.

Thanks for the tip on the splash guards will try and have that as a part of the package. We are targeting Monday as the buy day if we get over the fear of buying a new car.

This is very stressful!!!

This has been so helpful reading all your opinions.

The On Star issue is something I am not wild about. It does have a GPS.

Thanks,

Gettinglesscared2buy

Last edited by scared2buy; 01-16-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreDiesel
Whoa! That price is way high......you should have no problem getting 10K off MSRP on an any H3. I just paid $28,750 for a new 09 that had a MSRP of $43K........you might wanna shop around. Oh, and yes mine has the V-8 5.3L engine.
That's the best deal I have ever seen on an H3....how'd you negotiate that? WOW!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Guys remember they are going for a 2010, there are little to no incentives on the new hummers. A good price for a alpha 2010 would fully loaded around $42,000, the 09 alphas were going for around 35,000. I got a 09 base with chrome package and sunroof and head rest screens with only 25 miles on it for 28,000. I went out bought the chrome gas tank for 100 dollars and I bought stainless nerf bars for 150.00 Please remember anything a dealer says they can do for you easily they will rip you off. Dealer said yeah we can do the assist steps no problem for like 750 and the gas tank cover he said about 350 right there was almost a thousand dollars I saved. The bars only mount with 4 bolts on each side, all you need is a ratchet wrench set to install seriously. I just got my truck back from car audio place today and had upgraded my sound system with a sub in the back door and touch screen head unit and back up camera for just under 1400 installed. To get the h3 monsoon system with nav which is nice sounding but not very powerful is about 1700. Part of the joy I take in my h3 and I think alot of the guys here do too is what we can upgrade the h3 and do ourselves. The hummer accessories in general are pretty easy to install. I would suggest getting a h3 with just a lux package theres not much difference between that and the alpha except some badges. As far as the warranty goes gm is covering all hummers right now the 2010's production running or stopped are covered by gm and are not being transferred over to the chinese company the 2011's and so forth that will be a issue but there is agreement as far as warranty coverage for the 2010's. As far as problems with h3's, I have had none thus far, remember alot of people off road so things will eventually break or clog like the sunroof. If your going to drive around on roads mostly you will most likely never have any of these problems. Also most of the problems I see on h3's happen on the trucks with 100k miles plus. This is just my 2 cents but you can get a better deal on the alpha and I believe going with a lower model h3 and be just as happy. Sorry for my long rant but thanks for reading hope it helps some. PS I love my h3 more then any truck or car ive ever owned and thats saying alot. I was without it this week while getting stereo upgraded and I felt a part of me was missing. Best of luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Question

I would suggest getting a h3 with just a lux package theres not much difference between that and the alpha except some badges.

And...........the 'not worth mentioning' V8 ENGINE!!!

'08 Birch White Alpha

Quick Reply: Should we buy?