PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an H3T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM

OK anyone have any suggestions/links for a good bed lid/tonneau cover for the ride - one that perhaps folds or rolls and is secure? I'd prefer NOT a $2000+ slant one!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by LawWyfe
Funny you should mention the wife and her Avalanche! I am torn between a new Avalanche and the 2010 H3T. I like them both but again, figure this is my last chance for a newer Hummer since I have LOVED my H3 so darn much!
If you are torn between the two, the Avalanche is a nicer vehicle and has much more usable space in the bed. Downside is it's longer and less maneuverable in tight spaces, and in stock form just can't complete offroad.

My advice is to go drive them both back to back, drive around and park in a busy parking lot, and think about how you plan to use it. I love my H3, and other than a newer H3T Alpha there isn't any truck/suv I'd rather have. However, if I didn't wheel/camp/etc. I would be driving something else. My wife loves her Avalanche, but wants something smaller and sportier - she dislikes driving my H3.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

WOW I could not imagine NOT liking driving the H3! I find it the most manueverable with the turning radius it has and can whip my H3 into the tightest spots! I do love the Avalanche but I love the H3..my biggest decision is whether to go H3T where I then lose my SUV secure space and have to spend another couple grand on tonneau cover and tailgate lock.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM

WOW I could not imagine NOT liking driving the H3! I find it the most manueverable with the turning radius it has and can whip my H3 into the tightest spots! I do love the Avalanche but I love the H3..my biggest decision is whether to go H3T where I then lose my SUV secure space and have to spend another couple grand on tonneau cover and tailgate lock.
Agreed - I was surprised when she said that, but her reasons make sense. The ride is nowhere near as smooth as her Avy, it's harder to see out of, seats are not as plush, less creature features (some of which I think are available on newer or better equipped models like steering wheel radio controls). The H3 is more rugged and more capable offroad - which does compromise on-road driving a bit. It also has more of a utility feel, brushed metal faceplates, etc. Same is true comparing the H3 to many other SUVs - ie a Jeep Grand Cherokee is a much nicer ride, far more luxury feel, etc.

Personally, the H3/H3t is exactly what I'm after. Good road manners, good maneuverability, decent interior, great offroad. If you take out the need for offroad ability you are left with a decent SUV with nice exterior styling - plenty of other options that are quite frankly much nicer for typical mall crawling.

If I'm going camping - it the H3, no question. If I'm taking a long road trip, the Avy wins hands down.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM

I just bought an Extang solid fold here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110618589793&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
and a pop n lock tailgate lock from Amazon.com

Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 AM

LOL Skeptic are you and your wife related to us?? I have been in the Avalanche and know it's more plush and do really like it (but I fear the size and maneuverability after being used to a midsize SUV.) I am also a 3 time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner but sold my last one in 2006 for my H3. I guess I am just a diehard H3 lover because I am willing to give up all the features of the more plush rides for an H3 and still feel as tho I have a GREAT FUN ride - the question is will I feel the same way about a truck over my SUV? Only I can decide this at this point. And what the heck, I can always have an Avy next go round lol...a Hummer I cannot! I thank you much for all your input!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM

I looked at these yesterday at an auto accessory shop - they wanted $800 installed. Also looked at the roll in lock (probably the way I would go.) Thanks!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Smile Thank you

Thanks ALL for all your responses and input! I greatly appreciate it. I guess today or tomorrow will determine whether I am the new owner of an H3T Alpha or whether I weenie out and hang onto my H3 for awhile longer. Good news is it's paid for, and still has a GMPP Major Guard warranty with 2 years/27,000 miles on it! Again you all have been most helpful!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Thumbs down Final Verdict on purchasing the H3T

OK here's the final word...7 hour day RT to see & drive the T. I went checkbook in hand and seriously ready to buy this T. They bent over backwards to try and sell it to me (yeah I guess they did knowing the condition it is in!!!)...MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT! The Internet ad for the dealership said "ABSOLUTELY LIKE BRAND NEW!!!! DON"T MISS THIS DEAL! I spoke with the Internet salesman for over a week about it as well as emails with the business manager...they knew how far I was driving and they had a feel for my expectations. Got there and the 1st thing I see as I am walking up is the whole bed (including the top plastic bed liner pieces) are beat to hell with big chunks out of it all over, back seat speaker had drink poured all in it, big scratches all over the plastic parts inside the cab and dirty headliner. OK so I know it's a truck and the bed inside will get beat up eventually..but this ride was brand new supposedly in May 2010 and also a rental come to find out on the CarFax. We know what folks do to rental cars. It just was not anywhere near like new condition. My 5 YO H3 is in far better condition! OK so I know those top pieces could be replaced but uh I replaced my top side plastic pieces recently and I know how pricey that was at the dealer...Sooo I thanked them, declined and left disappointed but I was not about to settle for something much newer and not nearly as nice as my 2006 H3. Thanks once again ALL for all your input!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 AM

LOL Skeptic are you and your wife related to us?? I have been in the Avalanche and know it's more plush and do really like it (but I fear the size and maneuverability after being used to a midsize SUV.) I am also a 3 time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner but sold my last one in 2006 for my H3. I guess I am just a diehard H3 lover because I am willing to give up all the features of the more plush rides for an H3 and still feel as tho I have a GREAT FUN ride - the question is will I feel the same way about a truck over my SUV? Only I can decide this at this point. And what the heck, I can always have an Avy next go round lol...a Hummer I cannot! I thank you much for all your input!
Don't think we are related, but your story sure sounds similar to mine. I've been a Jeep guy since I bought my first in '96. A brand new, special order '97 Wrangler. Since then I've had at least one Wrangler/Cherokee/Grand Cherokee in my driveway... Until I traded in my lifted/modified Cherokee on my H3 back in Nov. I've only had one Grand (lifted with big tires of course), but going from my Cherokee to my H3 was definitely a step up.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for that H3t Alpha. If it was me I probably would have gone ahead with the deal as long as the mechanicals, price and mileage were good. Maybe it's just my offroad jeeping mentality - I'm not bothered by cosmetic stuff. New speaker, new bedliner, clean the headliner.. Then again, I didn't see it in person, there are limits to what is ok to me.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an H3T?