PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sealing vent in rear door

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Default sealing vent in rear door

with the magnaflow exhaust installed it obviously louder. On the highway the drone is pretty prominent when its in overdrive chugging along. Tonight as an experiment I took the jack out the rear door and stuffed the void and over the "vent" with beach towels and took a drive. While I did not get up to highway speeds it does sound quieter.

So I am thinking of dynamatting some in the rear of the vehicle. And doing something with the vent. I have seen some people have done away with the vent when they put the spare up on the roof. How much effect does it cause with cabin pressure and airflow inside the vehicle? Just doing what I did tonight did not seem to effect closing the doors or anything. and 90% of the time the windows are up and I run the a/c on recirc unless its in the defrost position which is brief.

Any thoughts on sealing that vent or doing something with it (maybe some dense foam in the slats) along with dynamatting, with out completely ripping the interior out and covering everything, experiences appreciated!

thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 12:26 AM

DO NOT RESTRICT THE FLOW OF THE CABIN PRESSURE RELEASE MECHANISIM ON THE REAR DOOR!

You will have many HVAC issues in the future!

Just a warning. By your question above I think you already figured out the "why"!

Why not just change the muffler? Hey you made a mistake, no big deal. You don't have to live with it and change other items on your rig just to deal with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 AM

I agree with tainter

Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

MagnaFlow exhaust takes a good 2000 miles to break in. Relax and let it mellow with some miles.

I've had mine for over 4 years and like it more than a bunch.

X3 what Tainter said. Your "noise" is not coming from/through the vent. Dynamat the back door, leave the vent alone.

I put Dynamat in the back door and road noise in general was reduced and when you close the door you get a solid sound instead of the tin can thing. That is an excellent idea.
Name:  DSC01328.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  146.2 KB