PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip- CO and UT

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Default RE: Road trip- CO and UT

hey tinked.

i'll be in vegas in July , would love to do a little 4-wheelin !!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Having a non-Adventure H3 isn't a big deal unless you're really doing hard core off roading where you will probably have less than 4 wheels on the ground or slickrock, whathaveyou...

The stock version with stock tires is a very capable machine. In sandy trails you'll probably want to drop some air pressure for better grip, you don't sacrafice much ground clearance with the stock over the Adv. less than an inch of ground clearance. Careful tire placement can make up for a lot.

You have to run the trails and start out easy and gradually work up to the tougher trails. Nerf bars are a no no on the tougher trails, you will damage them more likely than not.

Some of the ledges and shelfs can be a pretty big drop and you have to hit them just right even on and Adv. version to keep from grinding down the skid plates, etc.

The hard core stuff can't even be done with an Adv. series unless it's been modified with 35" tires and perhaps additional lift kits and a lot of skill and a good spotter.

I gotta tell you, getting out in the canyons with the H3 is about as much fun as one can legally have.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Hummer Driver said it well. I think the two upgrades I would like for better off-roading: under-carriage protection and better off-road tires. My stock tires just slip too much. I think it depends on what "stock" is for you. Mine are road oriented. If I ever get somewhat hard core, I doubt I'll move to 35s but 33s would be likely.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 AM

The hard core stuff can't even be done with an Adv. series unless it's been modified with 35" tires and perhaps additional lift kits and a lot of skill and a good spotter.
I would disagree with that.... You need to come to Moab and roll with "The Black Sheep Hummer Squadron" 35's fit with no lift kit....

Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Great pictures and thanks for thereview...Question..... were you out on your own or did you have a back up vehicle?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM

We were out on our own but we avoided doing anything too technical. As it was a Saturday there were lots of vehicles anyway so if there were a problem we could've had help within the hour. Next Moab trip will definitely have a partner vehicle.