PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Camera Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Default Rear Camera Suggestions

I have the stock NAV stereo unit in my 2007 H2 and am looking for ideas on installing a rear camera. Where do I mount the screen, suggested models, etc...? I assume that my head unit does not have a video input that I can't wire it to the unit. Thoughts?

I was thinking about removing the onstar unit and mounting the screen there?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM

My 07 has three small toggle switches below the traction control buttons that switch the screen on the nav radio between the standard display, a backup camera and a dvd player that is also connected to rear headrest displays. they are total after market but evidently you can splice into the display and send it different siginals. The DVD play stop working I will take it in the stereo shop and find out how it works.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM

I know the onstar is useless but why not to replace your stock unit for a better one , there are a few models which included hi def cams which could be mounted on the plate frame ..

the dealer replace mine for a Jensen , including the Tv on the headrest ... Much better . the original system is a pain to play a dvd ... also got the GPS on screen and the camera ... Only complain I should get a better quality unit

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM

Good point Bedmison... May have to look into that,

What's up Miami? I went to cartoys and the $500 head unit ends up running $1000+ because of all the harnesses and crap... The one I really want will run more than that. I know one of the harnesses goes away when onstar is removed...

Old 03-05-2013, 02:52 PM

The stock unit does not have NTSC inputs and you will require a harness. The product I found is called NAVTV and retails for 450 bucks. That and a map update and you're very close to having a professional install a new headunit for you. The model you need is the GM204, it's crazy how expensive it is for what it does and you might be able to find one cheaper but that should get you in the right direction.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM

I still find cheaper to get a new unit ...
If you are spending $400 between the harness , this and that , I would rather to spend a little more to get a decent unit with GPS and rear cam included .. Maybe not the top quality if you are not an sound addict ... Any good brand in the market will works ... I didnt pay for mine , dealer did but I saw the bill and it was around the $600ish ... Not a great sound quality but ok , not the best GPS but better than the stock ... For sure a better video interface ...
If you decide to go with an aftermarket make sure you ask for the module that connect to the steering wheels , also you want too check if the Bluetooth is built in ,
I have a camera in the mirror but Im planning to get a second that works all the time when Im towing the boat/jetski ... Nice plan to get an eye on the trailer while driving

Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM

I installed an OEM GM rear view mirror with camera display in my 03 H2. Its a Rostra 250-8801-CMOS mirror with temp and compass for $422.. They are available with a variety of options including on-star. Camera options for either CCD or CMOS. Surprisingly easy install. Took an obsessive compulsive like me about 3 hours. Hardest part was pulling the camera cable through the rubber conduit in the tailgate jam. Trick is to spray a lubricant into the conduit then it goes easy. Mounted the camera at the top of the license plate panel using the included "wedge" cowl. Just needed to notch the edge of the license plate light bar for the cable. Looks dead stock with perfect angle for trailer hook up.

I like the display in the rear view as that is where your familiar for reverse view. I think the H2 radio location is too low for quick eye scan of mirrors and camera. Also leaves the radio selection open.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM

I mis-stated "OEM GM", but I am understanding that Rostra is an OEM supplier and this unit is same style as GM OEM. Wire harness was also GM and used the stock temp, compass, and reverse signal inputs.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM

I went to a few stereo shops to see what's out there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Take a look at Backup Camera/Mirrors

This is where I purchased my mirror. Very knowledgeable and very helpful through the install.