PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Process in buying H3 (Need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 AM

Awesome guys... Thanks for the answers. I have a couple more questions:

Correct me if I am wrong... the adventure or off road package includes rear diff button on the dash (second from right) for older models? Is this the way to tell if its an adventure/off road package? and if the button is present I assume it also has the better gear box and shocks?

The reason why I ask is I've noticed adds on autotrader and such with listings that don't mention that the H3 as an adventure/off road package, but in the pictures you can see the rear diff button. I guess some of these dealers and owners are clueless... I've also noticed on a few others that they list the hummer as an "adventure" but there is no button (sounds like a scam).

Also, What maximum mileage would you not buy a hummer H3. What is the limit? 60,000 - 80,000 - 100,000? How long do the engines typically last?

Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Judah
Awesome guys... Thanks for the answers. I have a couple more questions:

Correct me if I am wrong... the adventure or off road package includes rear diff button on the dash (second from right) for older models? Is this the way to tell if its an adventure/off road package? and if the button is present I assume it also has the better gear box and shocks?

The reason why I ask is I've noticed adds on autotrader and such with listings that don't mention that the H3 as an adventure/off road package, but in the pictures you can see the rear diff button. I guess some of these dealers and owners are clueless... I've also noticed on a few others that they list the hummer as an "adventure" but there is no button (sounds like a scam).

Also, What maximum mileage would you not buy a hummer H3. What is the limit? 60,000 - 80,000 - 100,000? How long do the engines typically last?

Thanks again!
All year adventure models will have the Locker button on the center dash. I believe 09 and newer will have 2, the other is for the front diff. Better/lower range transfer case and better/lower ratio gears in the diffs.
Shocks will need to be replaced soon anyways and they are a cheap up grade. A lot, not all, of dealers are stupid/scam artist never trust the ads.
Research first before you buy.
I think that the H3's are still new enough to where you're not going to see many 200k mile examples out there so only time will tell.
Happy trails.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM

My '07 Adventure has about 135K on it and still running well. Idles a bit rough every now and then, generally fixed with MAF & throttle body cleaning. I would invest a few bucks in having an independent mechanic check out any used H3 but especially a high mileage model.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Yes, The Adventure package will have the locker button/buttons on the right hand side of the 4x4 control cluster. That will denote a 4:1 transfer case ratio in 4lo and a rear locker (front & rear in 09-10). ALL I5 equipped H3s have 4:56 gears in their differentials. Only the V8 models came with 4:10 gears. Depending on the year the Adventure package also included the Monsoon entertainment system with an 8" subwoofer and amplifier in the rear.

You already know how to spot one. So dealer photos are your way of telling what the rig truly has.

Mileage...as long as it has been maintained properly I dont see an issue with 100k plus.