PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Buying H1 This Weekend - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Default Buying H1 This Weekend - Need Advice

I know this has been asked a lot and I promise I read them all. I am going to buy a 1995 H1 Wagon this weekend. It has 65,000 miles, original 6.5na diesel and is mostly original. Three previous owners and no service records, other than what the VIN gives me at the Hummer Dealer. It is clean in the pictures, but I will not see it or drive it until this weekend. Asking price is $30k and I can probably get him down about $1,500 or so. The HVAC system has a digital display and is located on the dog house. Is this what the '95 had stock? What problems shouldI be looking for on a '95? I read the flashoffroad tips for buying used and I will print them and bring them. Anything specific you can suggest to look or smell for? It has one fuel tank and I was wondering how hard it is to add a second on a '95. The H1 was almost sold to someone else last week and they paid to have it inspected by the local dealer. I was able to talk to the service manager and he said it was good to go. CTIS and some tire issues were repaired by current owner as a result of the inspection and it has a set of new Goodyear MT's with the runflats installed, so says current owner. The other buyer could not get financing and that is why he did not buy it. I am a cash buyer so it is not an issue for me. I know it is a decent price and my budget is capped at $35k so it works well for me. Not to many available at $35k, but more and more are getting to this price point every day. What do you think?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Buying H1 This Weekend - Need Advice

Did you pull a CarFax on it. That might fill in some of the blanks on previous service. The 95 only had one tank. I am not sure what would be involved in adding another tank. Main thing is condition and service. If the mechanic was a Hummer mechanic and did a "stem to stern" inspection on it and pronounced it healthy then that would count for a lot. Go through all of the systems. Make sure the CTIS pump works. The HVAC system on the pre 97.5 H1s was weak. make sure you are satisfied with how well the AC/heater works. I think they did have a digital display and the controls were just to the right of the shifter handle. The upgrade to the 97.5 HVAC system is expensive. You can buy the pieces on Ebay, through Kascar, etc but it will cost at least a couple of grand if the basic system doesn't suit you. My 97 has the older system and it works fine here in Socal. If you haven't driven H1s before they are a little noisier and rougher than most other vehicles. You will hear the geared hubs whine as you slow down and the truck will probably rock a little when you come to a stop. That is normal. If it has a winch it will rock a little more. Outside of that look at it as you would any other car. Interior and exterior condition, does everything work, etc. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM

Yeah the digital display HVAC is the older system. Also with adding a 2nd fuel tank I believe it shouldnt be too bad but I believe you will have to do a body lift to fit the 2nd tank in since that is why they put the 2nd tank in. When Turbo Diesels came out they had to do a 1" body lift to the truck and with that extra inche they then decided to use the space it created by putting in another fuel tank. With a 1" lift it should actually go smoothly wont have to cut the firewall up or extending the shifter linkages but you will have to buy the foam to put around the radiator. and while your at it you might as well go all out and put a 3" lift in so you can fit some 40" tires. Now with the lift kits they are known to come "incomplete" meaning instructions are kind of poor... you do not get all the parts required to do the lift(foam around rad, longer fuel tank strap, longer fuel line, shift linkage extenders, etc...) but I have heard that there is a manufacturer that is really trying to change the way body lifts are done and make a near complete kit meaning all instructions there most of stuff is there and what is not is listed in the instructions and that manufacturer is Rubber Duck. Now I personally have never dealt with this manufacturer before but I have heard nothing but positive feedback from his customers.
Also since your rig is 6.5NA you dont have to worry about the #8 cylinder issue.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Rubber Duck is a reputable supplier of Hummer accessories. If it comes from them I think you can count it it being right and them standing behind it.