PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

PROBABLE DIFF BREAK...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PROBABLE DIFF BREAK...

At least they are taking care of it under warranty. Hopefully you will be back in it soon.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerMike

be very careful when you btm in the H3. thats exactly how your diff blew up on you. the H3 is designed for you to use its traction control system rather than btm.
Sorry, but stupid question- what is BTM?

Maybe its just too early in the morning.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 AM

BTM (Brake Throttle Modulation/Manipulation) does not blow up the darn H3 diffs -it can actually save them. Improper use of BTM can blow the H3 diff, but not if done properly.

TCS blows diffs! When you allow wheels to spin to the point TCS kicks in, is when your diff blows. No wonder there are so many of these grenading.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM

In 4lo and first gear the traction controll is supposed to shut down.I think it's BTM but if there is some sort of malfuntion in the TC.This could be the problem.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm pretty sure f5stop has said in the past that TC NEVER shuts down. I've never felt it shut off...even in 4 low 1st gear I feel it working.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Remember there is StabiliTrack and TC.

Anyway, NOMO described the gears as toast, no input on the carrier specifically. You can chew a gear if it is in a cast iron or aluminun carrier, the gears don't friggin know what they are riding in? More info., pics please.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 AM

there is stabi and TC...but only on auto's in 06...stabil was not available on manuals in 06. Stabil can be shut off...TC cannot.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

If I were a firm believer of all in the manual, I would so you are incorrect IK [sm=oopssign.gif]

Excerpts from the 06 H3 Manual:
Traction Control System (TCS)
Your vehicle has a Traction Control System (TCS) that limits wheel spin. This is especially useful in slippery road conditions. The system operates only if it senses
that any of the wheels are spinning or beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system applies the brakes to limit wheel spin and also reduces engine
power. You may feel or hear the system working, but this is normal.
The Traction Control System may operate on dry roads under some conditions. When this happens, you may notice a reduction in acceleration or a pumping sound.
This is normal and doesn’t mean there’s a problem with your vehicle. Examples of these conditions include hard acceleration in a turn, an abrupt upshift or downshift of
the transmission or driving on rough roads.
If your vehicle is in cruise control when the TCS begins to limit wheel spin, the cruise control will automatically disengage. When road conditions allow you to safely
use it again, you may re-engage the cruise control. See
Cruise Control on page 3-11.
If your vehicle has a Driver information Center (DIC), a TRACTION FAILED message will appear when a Traction Control System or Anti-Lock Brake System
problem has been detected and the vehicle needs service. See
DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-44 [font=arial][color=#231f20]for more information.
When this message is on, the system will not limit wheel spin. Adjust your driving accordingly. The traction control system automatically comes on
whenever you start your vehicle. To limit wheel spin, especially in slippery road conditions, you should always leave the system on. But you can turn the
traction control system off if you ever need to.
To turn the system off, press and release the TCS button located on the instrument panel. This light will come on steady when the
traction control system has been turned off. This light flashes when TCS is active. If you press the TC button once, the traction
control system will turn off and a TRAC OFF message will appear on the DIC. Press the TC button again to turn the system back on.
The TRAC OFF message will then go off. The traction control system will reset itself at each ignition cycle.
[left]If your vehicle also has StabiliTrak[size=2]®[font=arial][color=#231f20], s

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM

I told them 2 save the parts so I could get some pics.When I was there yesterday I forgot my camera.I will def get some pics.What I saw was gnarly.Tons of gears were sheared off,maybe almost half. IF your TC is on and BTM is being used.I think this could be the the DIFFUE. MAYBE THE BTM CONFUSES THESYSTEM AND IT SEES IT AS TRACTION ????

Old 01-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Doc, this was explained in depth at the other board awhile back by F5fstop...and you know he knows more about the h3 than any 5 of us combined, he explained that the TC cannot be turned off but the stabil can....at least I am pretty certain of it. But my memory does suck...maybe he can stop by here and read this? Prolly not

Quick Reply: PROBABLE DIFF BREAK...